Aggies shoot down Spartans 87-65

In one of Greensboro’s rivalry games, the N. C. A&T Aggies

took on the UNCG Spartans at the Greensboro Coliseum Monday

night.

In one of Greensboro’s rivalry games, the N. C. A&T Aggies took on the UNCG Spartans at the Greensboro Coliseum Monday night.

The Aggies got off to a slow start as the Spartans took an early 6-0 lead when UNCG’s Trevis Simpson knocked down shots in the first minute of the game.

DaMetrius Upchurch scored the first basket of the game for A&T from a Marc Hill assist. In the next possession, Hill sped down the court and crossed over to pull up for a seven foot jumper, and soon after, Nic Simpson’s two made free throws gave A&T a 6-0 run to tie the game at 6-6. Upchurch later scored to give the Aggies their first lead of the game.

While at one point it seemed as though the Aggies could not miss from the floor shooting 47% from three-point range, the Spartans could not knock anything down.

“They just couldn’t buy a basket at the right time,” said A&T head coach Jerry Eaves.

Many of the Spartans’ shot attempts rattled in and out of the basket.

“It was disappointing,” said UNCG guard Korey Van Hussen.

Near the end of the first half, UNCG’s Simpson scored to give the Spartans some life and presence on the scoreboard, but A&T’s Jeremy Underwood answered with a three-pointer that sparked another Aggie run.

In two consecutive possessions, Underwood connect with Kam Shepherd to put four easy points on the scoreboard.

Shephard struggled to finish close shots in previous games this season but finished the game 4 of 4 from the field with 11 points, 10 of them being in the first half, and three blocks.

Despite each team having 19 turnovers, A&T was able to capitalize scoring 20 points from turnovers and 17 fast break points, and the Aggies were able to get back in transition defense, holding the Spartans to just two fast break points in the game.

However, the most impressive statistics of the night were the 51 points that the Aggies’ bench contributed, scoring over half of A&T’s total points.

Junior forward R.J. Buck did not hit or attempt a three, but went 7-9 from the field leading the Aggies with 16 points and five rebounds.

“I like seeing guys on my team score as much as I like to see myself score,” said Buck.

A&T had four other players to put up double digits. Nic Simpson followed close behind Buck with 13 points.

Buck’s quick baseline drive for the easy dunk finished out the game as the Aggies went on to defeat the Spartans 87-65.

“My young men played tremendously,” said Eaves.

Austin Witter scored 12 points as he drained 3 of 4 shots from three-point range, hauled in seven rebounds, snagged two steals, and dished out five assists for the Aggies.

Witter came into the game off of a double-double performance against Barber Scotia where he scored 14 points and grabbed 11 rebounds last Friday.

UNCG’s Trevis Simpson led all scorers with 17 points and grabbed four rebounds.

The Aggies will be on the road for their next eight games including their first conference game of the season against MEAC rival North Carolina Central on Sat, Dec. 3.

The double header will start with the women’s game at 2 p.m. and the men will tip off at 4 p.m.

[email protected] and follow her on Twitter @KayRob_

• Karmen Robinson, Sports Editor