Museum leaders say project on schedule despite setbacks

On Feb. 1,1960, four black freshmen from N.C. A&T who sat down at a segregated Woolworth’s lunch counter and refused to leave started the sit-in movement, which spread globally. Forty-one years later, the International Civil Rights Museum at 134 S. Elm St., which commemorates the four freshmen and the sit-in movement, is nearing completion despite failure of a bond issue last fall by a narrow 49-51 margin. Even though the $3 million museum bond was rejected last November, Jones says that it has not halted the museum’s progress. “The bond was unanticipated. It would have accelerated the project, but it was unanticipated as far as the original plans,” said Earl Jones, who serves as vice president of Sit-In Movement Inc.Jones says that the board, in its eighth year of the museum project, is following the model of the museum in Memphis, Tenn. completed in 12 years and in Birmingham, Ala. completed in 14 years. On its current track, the museum will open in four to five years. “We’re on schedule and we’re sticking to the original plan,” said Jones.According to Jones, the International Civil Rights museum is entering the second phase, with help from the AFL-CIO, of a three-stage project. The first stage was to pay off the mortgage of the Woolworth building as well as operating expenses. Guilford County, the City of Greensboro, The National Trust of Historical Preservation, the State of North Carolina and 15 other corporations and individuals have made that stage successful by raising approximately $2.5 million. The second phase calls for the $3.1 million renovation of the 72-year-old Woolworth building. The final stage will consist of the drafting of the four major exhibits and learning center. Though the building is not complete, the museum is open to the public from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. McArthur Davis, executive director for the museum, says that it has had over 5,000 visitors last year. The museum staff passes out brochures to visitors and shows them the lunch counter where the four freshmen sat. Davis says that more money will be generated from fund-raisers such as the annual Sit-In Movement banquet, a golf tournament, a walk-a-thon, art collection and from donations. La-Z-Boy recently donated $10,000 and other individuals have contributed.Jones says that A&T, which launched the movement, can help by supporting various fund-raising events and providing volunteers.Brian Johnson, vice president of internal affairs for SGA, says that A&T should be more involved with the museum. “I feel that A&T as a university should take a more active role in this fight for the museum because so much has been done here at this university,” said Johnson.Ed Fort, former chancellor for A&T and a member of the 15-member executive board of Sit-In Movement Inc., says the board is focusing on selecting an advisory board, which will provide ideas, suggestions and support for the construction of the building. “The board supports the concept (of an advisory board) and has received letters from a number of people who want to work on it,” said Fort.Fort is confident that the museum project will be successful. “It has to be something that the community supports, and I think the community supports it. It’s important that we continue to keep the community informed,” said Fort.Some in the community have criticized the pace of the project and failure of the bond, linking them to the leadership of President Skip Alston and Jones.Tom Phillips, a Greensboro city council member says that Alston’s and Jones’ “politics alienates people.” “I’m a conservative and I have yet to see someone that doesn’t want it (the museum),” says Phillips. He adds that the concern around the community is that Alston and Jones need to accept a “lesser role” so that money can be raised and the politics in the matter can be eliminated.Jones blames the News & Record for causing this controversy. “The Greensboro Four who sat at the counter 41 years ago were not celebrated by the established institutions, they were castigated,” said Jones. “Today, the leadership is not celebrated by institutional control. As much as things change, they still stay the same.”Alston was contacted, but he was unavailable for comments.Claudette-Burroughs White, a Greensboro city councilwoman, disagrees with both sides. “I’m not saying that the concerns are legitimate from either side. None of it is as important as the museum that commemorates our history. It commemorates one of the greatest things that happened in this state,” said White.Henry Isaacson, executive board member and attorney, said, “I’m not bothered by any controversy. This museum to commemorate the Sit-In movement is too important to pass up. We need to see it through and make it a reality. It needs to be remembered. Fifty years from now people need to say, ‘Let’s go see it.'”