Hip-hop violinists string in a crowd

As students continued with their week full of activities for this year’s Aggie Fest, they were also lined up for the University’s Lyceum Series event last Wednesday.

The University Lyceum Committee was able to book the musical duo Nuttin’ But Stringz. The group features two African American brothers, Damien and Tourie Escobar, from New York who have been playing the violin for a combined over 25 years.

When students, faculty, staff, and the community members entered Harrison Auditorium, they were greeted with low lights and soft music playing in the background. Some of the audience began singing the songs that were played.

After some wait time, the duo came out to the stage, immediately playing their instruments. When they finished, the brothers introduced themselves. Damien received some disgruntled remarks after he said “NC State,” but corrected himself and apologized.

The artists continued playing the violin, but also added background music to their playing with different beats and instruments. The brothers then explained they did not bring their band with them because they were back in LA. The group is currently on an international tour.

While on stage the brothers admitted they write a lot of their own music and even showed the crowd when they made up songs on the spot.

“I think music should make you feel free,” said Damien. “That’s what it’s all about. That’s why I do it. I just like making music.”

The duo changed up the concert when they began rapping to their songs and put the violin down. Encouraging crowd participation, they invited everyone in the audience to stand up and sway along with the music.

Receiving a couple standing ovations throughout the show, the brothers ended the concert and thanked the audience for supporting them.

Both of the brothers started when their mother brought a violin home, but Tourie began playing before Damien.

It was when Damien really began to love the instrument that Tourie realized how much he loved it as well.

Their ability to play hip-hop, classical, jazz, and other genres of music all on the violin makes these brothers musical style different. Both of the violinists attended Julliard School when they were young.

Admitting that they don’t practice, the brothers have kept themselves up on music by recording in the studio and touring worldwide. Damien confessed that he partly doesn’t practice because it reminds him of growing up playing the instrument.

His teachers and instructors did not agree with the brothers playing the type of music they did because it was not classical violin music.

“They told me I was wrong because if Bach were alive, he wouldn’t have approved the music I played,” said Damien. “But I think if he (Bach) were alive, he would be playing the same music as us because it’s innovative.”

The duo started at Julliard, but has also been on Showtime at the Apollo and America’s Got Talent. They have released one album and are currently working on another set to come out later this year.

• Jasmine Johnson