Upgrade your work wardrobe without breaking the bank

We’ve all stood in front of our closets, the morning minutes ticking away, saying “I don’t have anything to wear.” Not only is it a sour note on which to start your morning, but it can make you run late and end up wearing something that either isn’t appropriate or doesn’t make you feel good.

A few simple steps toward updating – and upgrading – your work wardrobe can go a long way toward ending the “nothing to wear” conundrum.

The key to a good career closet is streamlining. Having too many disparate elements can be visually distracting and lead to overcrowded shelves. Follow these tips, whether you’re just entering the workforce or are an experienced office maven.

* Build from the ground up. Shoes can make or break an outfit, particularly at work. Know what’s acceptable at your office – some workplaces don’t allow open toes or heels – and then look for the best quality shoes that you can afford. There are plenty of great websites where you can find high-end designer shoes at deeply discounted prices. It’s essential to have shoes that compliment the rest of your wardrobe, so it’s best to start with basic and neutral colors like black, brown or nude.

* Color coordinate. It’s easier to make dressing decisions in the early hours of the morning if your wardrobe staples mix and match easily. When you shop, decide what colors look best on you – again, using neutral colors as your foundation – and build around those. If you have a basic background in colors like black, grey or navy, you can easily add pops of color.

* Change shapes. You don’t need to wear pants and a jacket every day to look polished and professional. Switch it up by adding skirts, cardigans and a variety of shirts. You can even find great deals on designer dresses that are work-appropriate (and in your chosen base colors) online – look for labels known for great tailoring and they’ll last for a long time.

* Little things mean a lot. Accessories can take your outfit to the next level with a minimum of effort – and express a bit of personality, even if you work in a conservative corporate environment. If you’re an antiques hound, scour the shops (and the Web) for vintage brooches that add an element of interest. If you love color but your office doesn’t, adding a silk scarf is a classic way to inject a little liveliness without being overwhelming or inappropriate. And of course, designer handbags can complete your look and be highly functional. The Internet makes it easier than ever to get authentic high-end bags at prices that used to be unheard of.

* Plan ahead. If you’re a great organizer at work, translate the skill at home. You can find websites and apps for smart phones that help you to organize your closet by cataloging everything you have, enabling you to create outfits that you can browse through when you’re having a tough time deciding what to wear.

In addition to following these tips, don’t be afraid to weed out clothes that are collecting dust. If you haven’t worn it in the past six months, it’s a safe bet that you won’t miss it if you donate it. It might seem counter-intuitive, but having less in your closet can actually make it easier to find something to wear.