Meet the Robinson Administration

The torch officially has been passed; the Robinson Administration is excited to begin their tenure as the 2011-2012 Student Government Association (SGA) Executive Board.

Christian Robinson, rising senior Political Science major from Raleigh, NC, is President; Mitchell Brown, senior Business Management major from Fredericksburg, VA, is Vice President of Internal Affairs; Chris Wade, rising senior Public Relations major from Richmond, VA is Vice President of External Affairs. Jasmine Gurley, rising senior Public Relations from Prince George’s County, Maryland, is Miss A&T; Jordan Brunson, rising senior Chemistry major from (insert place), Ohio, is Mr. A&T; Desiree Simmons, rising junior Finance major from Chesapeake, VA is Treasurer; Whitney Walker, rising junior from Durham, NC, is Secretary; and Shamieka Heyward, rising senior Political Science major from Greensboro, NC is the attorney general.

This is the first year in several years where a complete E-board was elected during spring elections.

“We want to take A&T from where it is now to where we need it to be,” said Christian Robinson, which he states is the underlying theme in his campaign slogan “One Aggie.”

“One Aggie is [encouraging] everyone affiliated with the university, including students, administration, alumni, and community members, to strengthen the university where it is needed most.”

With the exception of Brunson, all the elected E-board members have previously held at least one position at various levels within SGA; and they all acknowledge their desire to obtain and succeed within their respective positions came from those experiences, the influence of past officers, and support from fellow students.

“Janae Brown, [former secretary for the Stankafa Administration], and Whitney Dickens, [former secretary for the Jasmin Administration] both influenced me to step into this position,” said Walker. “Janae is so driven and I’m the same way.  They made the position more visible and I want to enhance what they already put into affect.”

“People in general supported me. They encouraged me to run by saying things like you fit the description of a great Mr. A&T,” Brunson said. “I felt like I had the support of the entire campus before I had the idea to run myself.”

Both Heyward and Simmons pursued their positions not only because of their work within SGA, but because these roles would give them opportunities to gain experience in line with their majors and career goals.

Official plans and activities could not be disclosed, but everyone expressed their sincere desire to continue the legacy set forth by the previous E-board, specifically the heighten relationship between the e-board members and the student population

“We have a great looking E-board; we are down to earth, and like talking to people, which I think will help us a lot,” said Robinson. “We can use [those traits] to help students who are not really active become better citizens of the university.”

Additional plans include increasing student participation of the Health and Safety Conference, possibly creating a morale and excitement level surrounding it similar to that of homecoming; making the Constitution Convention an annual event, and connecting the Student Senators to their respective Colleges and Schools.   

Mr. and Miss. A&T also expressed taking their positions back to what they were created for, community service. Under Gurley’s campaign platform, Service with a S.M.I.L.E., at least one major service event will be held each month of the school year; and Brunson’s work with the male population intends to focus on raising the level of “respect they have for themselves and helping them to behave and think more ‘gentlemanly.'”  

Since elections, students have not wasted any time expressing what they want their student government to focus on next.

“The biggest thing I have heard from students is that they want to be motivated. Its not that they do not know what is going on [campus], they just want to be motivated to go,” said Gurley.

The E-board unanimously agreed that support level was in-line with all they wanted accomplish in the coming months.

“We learn lessons [at A&T], that prepare us for life after graduation,” said Robinson. “Students who are involved now will be involved after graduation, and that is what we want to promote.”

• LaRia Land