Aggies place third in Indoor Track Championships

The A&T track team finished third in the 2010 Indoor MEAC Championships behindthe first-place performances of David McFadgen and Caleisio Newman this past weekend in Landover, Md.

McFadgen won his first ever MEAC Championship, (indoor or outdoor), in the men’s triplejump. The sophomore leaped 49-feet, 5-inches, outlasting S.C. State’s Marcus Stephens.

He also finished second in the men’s long jump, leaping 24 feet, 1 inch, placing behind Coppin State’s Brandon Miles.

McFadgen’s teammate Newman benefited the Aggies by taking home the gold in the60 meters with a time of 6.77 – seven-tenths of a second shy of his fastest 60-meter dash time. This was his first ever indoor track championship after winning the 100-meter dash in the MEAC outdoor championships the last two years.

Both Newman and McFadgen have been ranked in the top 15 in the nation for their respective events since the beginning of the indoor track season, and their performances have qualified them for the 2010 NCAA Division Indoor Championships.

Other strong performances for the Aggies over the weekend included underclassmen Jarrell Elliott, Jenea Mc- Camon, Jessica Farr and Jade Clingman. Elliott finished fourth in the 400 and 200 meters.

The sophomore was also a part the Aggies 4×400 team that finished third.

He was joined by teammates Earl House, D’Mitri Boutrry and Akinwole Jordan to run a3:18.04. And the Aggie men’s 4×400 squad wasn’t the only team to place.

The women’s 4×400 team, consisting of three freshman (McCamon, Farr, Clingman) joined Diamond Marks in running a 3:49.93 placing third in the relay, and aiding the Lady Aggies with a fifth place finish overall.

Thompson is well aware of what the future may hold for his young athletes. “We have a lot of freshman girls and guys so the future looks bright,” Thompson said.

“They weren’t intimidated and that’s rare for young athletes

• Daniel Henderson