Finding a good lawyer you can afford

(ARA) – Expert legal advice can be invaluable for a wide variety of family matters, from a traffic ticket or real estate transaction, to creating a living will or incorporating a new business. But seeking out legal advice can be intimidating if you aren’t sure how to go about finding an attorney you think you can afford.

In fact, fewer Americans are seeking legal representation since the economic downturn began. In a recent American Bar Association (ABA) survey more than half of responding judges said their dockets increased since 2009 in the most common types of cases such as foreclosures, domestic relations and consumer debt issues, with 60 percent of judges saying fewer people are being represented by lawyers.

Going it alone because you think you can’t afford a private lawyer when you truly need expert advice could cost you more in the end, depending on the outcome.

“For many families, consulting a lawyer for legal advice may seem beyond their budget or a bit intimidating,” says Kasia Czarski, chief membership and marketing officer with Foresters, a life insurance provider. “However, there are various sources to access legal services and by learning what’s available, you can find a service tailored to meet your legal needs.”

There are a variety of ways to go about finding legal advice to fit your needs. Here are some tips for getting started:

* Ask a family member or trusted friend. Start by asking someone close to you whether they have worked with a lawyer in your area, and how it worked for them. This can give you a starting point for a lawyer to contact, or at the very least, give you an idea of what the legal process entails.

* Consult legal directories. Many lawyers pay to advertise in commercial law directories. You can find a variety of for-profit directories of lawyers online. Look for lawyers who specialize in the type of advice you are seeking, such as real estate law or family law.

* Check out your state’s legal resources. Most legal issues are regulated by the state you live in, or where the problem occurred, according to the American Bar Association. The organization offers a state-by-state listing of legal service providers on www.abanet.org. Your local bar association may also have its own website or listings with similar information.

* Explore other resources. Legal help may be available in places you may not ordinarily look. For example, Foresters, a life insurance provider committed to the well-being of families, has just added Legal Link as a new benefit to its members. Legal Link is a national service offering its members a referral to a local lawyer, as well as free or discounted legal services. The services include an initial phone or face-to-face consultation for each new legal matter, as well as advice on a variety of issues such as simple and living wills, review of legal documents, or phone calls and letters on your behalf.

* Consider legal aid or pro bono services. People at certain low income levels may be eligible for legal aid services in your state. Pro bono programs offer volunteer lawyers who are willing to handle cases for free. Such programs may be limited to certain types of cases, or your income may be too high to qualify you for aid. Charitable organizations, such as your local United Way, can direct you to these services to help you determine if they’re the right choice for you.

No matter where you go to obtain expert legal advice, now is the best time to start. You’ll not only get those long-delayed legal issues resolved once and for all, but you’ll help prevent even more legal headaches in the long run.

For more information on Foresters and its newest member benefit, Legal Link, visit www.foresters.com.