JOMC talk jobs with U.S. State Department

The department of journalism received a visit from Cheryl Benton, the Deputy Assistant Secretary for the Bureau of Public affairs on April 19, at 2 p.m. Benton came prepared an eager to discuss her position as well as the career choices in the US Department of State.

Shami Chimonyo, a senior political science major from Fairfield California, formally introduced Benton. Chimonyo was able to share an experience of how Benton helped her, introducing Hilary Clinton to her and others the previous semester. Benton holds a BBA of Finance from the University of Houston.

She was appointed Deputy Assistant Secretary for the State Department’s Bureau of Public Affairs in May 2009.

Benton has over 20 years of political and public affairs experience and expertise. She was able to bring her extensive background and knowledge of managing complex public advocacy to share with students who attended the seminar.

In her speech she reiterated she was looking for the new face of American diplomacy looking to serve their country through a rewarding career. She was hoping to find potential employers from A&T to fill vacant spots in the government to represent the state department and its future endeavors.

Benton then went on to explain the duties and tasks of the state government. ” We are here to combat climate change, protect the rights and deliver results to the people, address the problem of hunger.”

She talked about the problems happening right here in our country such as, human trafficking and water scarcity, which also occurs world wide. She encourage students majoring in journalism to apply for jobs in government through the website www.careers.state.gov.

Careers in journalism include but are not limited to, working in the foreign press center, broadcast services, civil services, civil servant, and Foreign Service officers. “Foreign service officers are at the top and guarantee you a long term career.” Benton said. You can also subscribe to their blog, which is Dipnote to get further information from leaders in the government.

After her presentation she opened the floor for questions, which the students were eager to ask.

One student asked, ” Did you experience any difficulties as an African American Women in your field?” Benton replied, ” You must keep pressing forward despite your everyday life and personal complications that might serve as obstacles. You have to rise above it.”

Another student asked about the job security in the government. Benton replied, “jobs were stable and there were many openings especially for the incoming college graduates.” After the closing remarks of the program by Dr. James Steele, students stayed around to network with Ms. Benton.

“I felt it was very informative; however, I wish it was slightly longer. I also wish she would have went further into detail about the career choices,” said Leland Baptist Junior Agricultural Business and Environmental Science major from Charlotte, N. C.

“I found this program to be informative and I found it rewarding when people high in government give back to HBCUs to help pull African Americans up,” said Chris Wade Junior JOMC Public Relations major from Richmond, Va.

• Shenea Phillips