Freshman list full of hitters

When you think about a freshman, what comes to mind? A freshman is defined as a beginner; one lacking seniority or experience. The hip-hop community has reinvented the term and used it to its advantage.

XXL Magazine is a Hip Hop magazine that was created in 1997 to entertain and inform those interested in hip hop culture. In 2008, XXL dedicated an issue annually to up and coming hip hop artists who are on the rise and make a household name for themselves in an industry where longevity does not come easily. Since 2008, XXL’s Top 10 Freshman list has launched the careers of many rappers.

The success rates for artists who have been on these lists are fairly high. Almost every person on the list since 2008 has had hit songs, gold albums, or a massive core fan base. One artist that made the freshman list in 2011 that is still generating a huge buzz in the music industry is Kendrick Lamar. His raw emotion and unfiltered lyrics have made him a household name. After the success of his album Section 80, he signed to Interscope and Aftermath record label in 2011.  Once signed in 2012, he released Good Kid, M.A.A.D. City, which brought about his commercial success.  His debut album landed at number two on U.S. Billboard 200 charts and has sold over 1 million units to date. His work ethic, ingenious lyrics, and production have helped him pave a way for himself. There are many artists who have made the list show that same ambition and drive to “conquer all” in this hip hop game.

Recently, XXL Magazine created the people’s champ award for the 10th spot on the freshman list.  Fans vote on the last and final artist. This list is highly anticipated every year. Be on the lookout this spring for XXL’s 2014 Top 10 Freshman list.  For now, the Register has decided an Aggies Freshman list.

Our list includes Chance the Rapper, Casey Veggies, Bishop Nehru, Bizzy Crook, Lil Bibby, Rapsody, Rich Homie Quan, K  Camp, Dillon Cooper, and Rockie Fresh. On the right is our predictions for this year’s top five. Take a look at our list and see if you agree. Did your favorite make our  list?

— Email Catherine at  [email protected]  and follow us on Twitter @TheATRegister

• Catherine Singletary, Register Contributor