9 Things Gay Students at A&T Want you to Know

1-We don’t want you.

….and still the loudest and most homophobic person in the room will avoid sitting next to us in class

almost as if sexuality and influenza are one and the same.

2- Seriously. We don’t want you.

I’ll write this one more time for the people in the cheap seats. Additionally, I’m willing to bet that if

people of a different gender don’t typically find you attractive, people of the same gender won’t either.

You’re probably safe.

3- Yes, some of us identify as Christian

and until God gives you control of the Book of Life, I’m going to require you to keep your opinions based

on your grandmother’s Pastor to yourself.

4- But some of us don’t identify as Christian

So you can definitely stop quoting that one scripture in Leviticus you conveniently remember except for

when you’re club hopping on nights when ladies get in free before 11, like you’ve been doing.

5- We think your kickbacks are extremely boring

We just don’t know a polite way to tell you. I can stand around, drink, and act like I’m having fun on

snapchat in the comfort of my own apartment. Why on earth would I choose to do that in yours?

6- Now that we’re comfortably in 2016 and not 1950, we can stop calling it a “lifestyle”.

My “lifestyle“ includes reading for class, doing my homework, trying to maintain a decent GPA, and

doing my best to be a relatively plausible adult. This seems to be the “lifestyle” of most of my peers,

heterosexual, and otherwise.

7- We. Are. Not. All. The. Same.

You know that frustrating moment when white people ask you a question and expect you to answer on

the behalf of every black person of the past, present and distant future? I can confidently and ironically

say on the behalf of black gay men, that I’m extremely incapable of speaking on the experiences,

interests, needs, and traumas of every black gay man. I also do not want to bear that responsibility. So

please stop asking me questions like I’m the head of the Rainbow Coalition.

8- Maybe he’s gay, maybe he’s not. Neither answer is any of your business.

Making people openly identify for your comfort and curiosity is strange and more questionable than

one’s sexuality. I cite the age-old adage when it comes to this debacle: Mind your business.

9-There is a space on campus for students that identify as Gay, Bisexual, Lesbian, and/or Transidentified.

P.R.O.U.D. (People Recognizing our Underlying Differences) is organized as a safe space for LGBTQ

identified students. This organization is also open to allies (heterosexual people who support LGBTQ

social movements and are willing to challenge homophobia and transphobia). Information can be

acquired from the Multicultural Student Center in Murphy Hall. It’s an excellent opportunity to meet

students who are just as frustrated and annoyed as you.