Time to make that move

It’s kind of weird to be sitting in the newsroom right now, knowing that this is my last day in the spot that’s been my office, my second home, my sanctuary and my hideout for the better part of five years.

I poured my guts out last year in this space when my tenure as editor-in-chief came to an end, but I guess at the end you have to look at the beginning.I came to A&T never planning to stay more than a year and now its a place I dont know what I’d be without.

When I came to the Register, I didn’t even write a story my first few weeks, I just came to contributors meetings and threw out ideas for the kind of stories I liked to see.

Who would have thought that five years later, I would have gone from an confused freshman who wanted to do radio to a polished young man, who was able to rise to top of my campus newsroom, held down a live radio show for four years and host television shows and football games.

It was an interesting experience to be apart of the Register this year without being the one calling the shots.

While there were many aspects I cringed at, there were many proud moments that left me confident that the newspaper I feel like I helped build will be in sure hands next year.

I don’t know how I’m supposed to feel right now but I’m sure come August when next year’s staff is putting together the paper for a whole new group of students who are probably just going to look at the pictures, it’ll hit me.

It warms my heart to know I’m leaving most everything I touched at A&T better than it was when I arrived.

Stories like mine are what A&T is all about. This university took a chance on me coming out of West Charlotte High School with average grades, below average motivation but they recognized that somewhere inside was untapped potential and that’s something I’ll always be indebted to them for.

I hope people at A&T will look at my path and realize that this university will not stop you from doing anything.

My adopted graduating class of 2009, I want to thank you all for making this fifth year worth the extra tuition. Surrounding myself with a new casts of characters was an endeavor I didn’t worry about.

The class of 2009 made sure that my new found free time was going to be used to enjoy college in a way I didn’t have the opportunity to do before.

I really wish I could have said something more inspiring or more compelling but right now I’m kind of just numb to the moment right now.

So this here’s the victory lap…

A&T and your Aggie experience is all dependent on what you want to do. A&T really does allow you to come in as a freshman, explore your possibilities, discover what your true skills and abilities are and become everything you dreamed of.

I know that was true for me and it can be true for every student who’s had the priviledge to join the Aggie family.

I love A&T, I’m going to miss the people, the atmosphere and the life I’ve had for the past five years.

Be easy and Aggie Pride.

• Mike McMcray