Don’t let love break the bank

February 14th is a day of love, happiness and celebration, but it always seems to leave many with empty wallets. There are ways to save and shower your significant other without creating distress in your bank account. I know you’re a college student. Here is a guide to having a great, affordable Valentine’s Day.

The Classic Date

“I see dates as a way of introducing yourself to the other person,” said Nicole Logan, a senior psychology major.  Logan said when she goes out on a date she usually goes to dinner or a movie. Whether you are getting to know your date or celebrating your relationship with your partner, the classic date is always Valentine’s Day approved. Here are a couple of options for simplicity that will equal satisfaction.

The Movies 

“Dear John” or “Valentine’s Day” — The film “Dear John” will provide all the romance needed on your date.  Picture it, the perfect evening watching a love story about a soldier who falls in love, but struggles to fight not only on the battlefield but to stay in the heart of his companion.  If you want to go more with a comedic approach then go with “Valentine’s Day.” This romantic comedy will provide tons of laughs for your date as it explores the ups and downs of the love-filled holiday.

Ringling Bros. and Barnum and Bailey: Barnum’s Funundrum!   

Take your date to see the circus at the Greensboro Coliseum Complex. Grab some popcorn and a soda while enjoying the sight of animals, clowns and all your favorite ring acts! Upper level seating starts at only $14. It’s not the movies, but it’s still the Greatest Show on Earth!

An Evening of Short Plays #22

If you are into the arts, enjoy an evening of short plays with the Greensboro Playwrights Forum. The short plays include works from local writers. There is no admission fee, but $5 donations are encouraged. The show starts Sunday at 2 p.m. at the Greensboro Cultural Center on Davie St.   

Sahara Reggae Band

For all of you music heads, enjoy a night of reggae music at Zion Bar & Grille at 5601 Roanne Way. Join the Sahara Reggae Band as they pay tribute to the great Bob Marley. Yes, this show is two days early of Valentine’s Day. but why not get a head start on the celebration? The show starts Feb. 12 at 9 p.m. Tickets are only $5, but a night of good music is priceless.

“It’s nice to see males, especially males, take the time to show their affection towards the girl they care for, and vice versa for the ladies,” Logan said.

The Adventurous Date

Chase Dearring, a senior industrial engineering major, enjoys being active when he goes on dates. “The most enjoyable dates are the ones where you are actually engaging in physical activities such as bowling or skating,” Dearring said. If you and your sweetheart dare to be different, try visiting one of these locations to express your love with more excitement.

Skateland USA

North, 3801 North Church St. Greensboro, N.C. — Enjoy a night out skating with your special someone. Adult night starts at 8 p.m. and ends at 10:30 p.m. Admission only cost $6 and skate rental is $2. This will provide a fun way for you to bond with your boyfriend or girlfriend and it’s a great date for friends or new lovers at an affordable price.  

Celebration Station

4315 Big Tree Way Greensboro, N.C. — Celebration Station can be your one-stop fun for you and your date. For those who consider themselves a child at heart, you can enjoy the arcade, batting cages, bumper boats, go-karts, and miniature golf. Operation hours are 11a.m.-9 p.m. on Sundays and prices for each ride or game are $25 and under. 

Gate City Lanes

5502 Hornaday Road Greensboro, N.C. — Enjoy the Valentine’s Day special at this bowling alley for a relaxed date. For just $14.95 per couple you will get two hours of bowling and rental shoes. Plus, the first 24 couples get a free box of chocolate! Gate City Lanes open at noon on Sundays and close at 11 p.m.

Greensboro Ice House

6119 Landmark Center Blvd. Greensboro, NC — Love doesn’t have to be cold just because you are on an ice rink. Enjoy an afternoon on the ice keeping your date warm for only $9, including your admission and skate rental.

“If they enjoy just being out with you and having fun that’s what counts,” Dearring said.

The Unique Date

Anthony Coleman, senior electronic media major, takes into consideration what his date likes when planning his date. “For the first date, I would rather cook dinner instead and have a nice candlelight dinner and buy a nice bottle of Moscato to go with the dinner,” said Coleman. Coleman said it is all about standing out when planning a unique date. If you would prefer to create your own special day of events, go for it! Here are a couple of examples of ways to impress your date, not by the dollar, but by the dedication.

Spa Day!

Spend the day pampering your special someone. Start off with breakfast in bed, give them a massage using baby oil, give manicures and pedicures, and end the day off by playing a game of strip chocolate checkers. Loco for Coco Gourmet Chocolates provides this fun game for only $8 at their shop, located at 1420-D Westover Terrace. Hey, you don’t have to remove any clothing — you can strip the chocolate from the game and still win!

Make it a Redbox Date

Turn your place into a personal cinema for your date. Get creative, pick up some construction paper and create your own movie passes. Make a popcorn station and pick up a Redbox movie and cuddle underneath a blanket with your date for a personal movie night. In case you don’t know what Redbox is, it’s a new cheap way to rent movies located at your nearest Walmart or grocery store for only $1. Locations include Walmart in the Pyramid Village shopping center and Harris Teeter on Battleground Ave. Visit www.redbox.com for more locations.

The Aggie Pride Date

Did you know you could show your love through your Aggie Pride? Well you can. Give your date the best night courtesy of your Aggie One Card. Head over to the Aggie Sit-In or Pizza Hut, Freshens and Krispy Kreme and treat your date to anything on the menu. Anything is better than nothing, and they will appreciate knowing that you are willing to spend your flex dollars on them.

“The thing that makes a date is that you are putting everything that you have learned, either from your parents or past dates, together to make sure that this date stands out beyond the rest,” Coleman said.

• Ashley Reid