Volleyball team relocates

All students know Moore Gymnasium to be the home of intramural sports, Gym Jams, and last year’s homecoming pep rally. Moore Gym will now be the home of the Aggie Volleyball team. This year and for years following, all volleyball games will no longer be held in Corbett Sports Center.

Ten years ago a commitment was made to move volleyball games from Corbett to Moore. “Corbett gymnasium is not set up for volleyball,” explained Earl Hilton, Athletic Director. Although the gym floor in Corbett has holes for volleyball nets to be set up, there are no permanent floor markings for a court’s existence. When games were held in Corbett, tape was physically put down to make a court for matches. In Moore Gym there will be a permanent painted court.

Head volleyball coach Hal Clifton approached Hilton last year expressing that he preferred to have a dedicated facility that is marked and set up to primarily serve volleyball. In order for the new location in Moore Gym to suit game play standards a few things needed to be done in the gym.

Preparations for the volleyball team to play in Moore began two weeks ago. Poole Flooring Inc. is a wood flooring specialist company that has sanded the gym floor and began painting it this week. Even though Moore will now be the new home of the volleyball team there will be secondary markings on the floor so that intramural sports, specifically basketball, can still take place in the gym as well as Gym Jams.

Preparations for the gym not only include sanding, painting, and polishing the floor but there will also be new scoreboards installed.

Pending final court paint touches, the Lady Aggies will make their official move from Corbett Sports Center to Moore Gymnasium for their first home game on Sept. 7 against American. If the floor is not finished the first game will be held in Corbett.

[email protected] and follow her on Twitter @LifeCreating

• Symone Kidd, Sports Editor