Cheap flights to London boost the appeal of a quick getaway

It’s hard to get away from the daily grind of life, but everyone needs a vacation. Luckily for time-pressed travelers, low-cost carriers – and the major airlines, too – offer airfare sales that make even a quick trip well worth it. For an exhilarating city getaway, whether it’s a long weekend or a full week, work a search for cheap flights to London into your to-do list.

England’s long history is on display everywhere in London, from the Tower to the Globe Theatre, but the city is so vibrant and forward thinking that you’d be missing out on its character by spending the entire time dwelling on the past. Be sure to pick up a magazine like TimeOut, which lists all the happenings for the week – it’s a great catalogue of options for making last-minute plans.

While you can fill in the blanks however you please, there are some essential elements for a quick trip to London.

1. A great place to stay. London hotels are proof that the city’s stylish verve shows up everywhere. Whether you want to stay in sleek, ultra-modern digs or an elegant hotel with plenty of history, your options are virtually endless. When it comes to location, keep in mind that the Underground makes it possible to move across the city with relative ease – it’s more important to have good access to a station than it is to be smack-dab next to a sight you want to see.

2. Dining out. London is a world class city by almost any measure, and it certainly stands tall as a culinary destination. The diversity of food available is almost astounding; thanks to a bevy of creative chefs and vibrant immigrant communities from every corner of the globe, you can find something to please every palate. From the high-end nose-to-tail options at renowned foodie destination St. John to the workaday, classic options at neighborhood pubs, you can also find plenty of characteristically English dishes.

3. Shopping. You’ve got the big guys (Harrods, Topshop) and you’ve got the little guys (countless boutiques) – put them together and it’s shopping paradise. While the big name stores naturally draw big crowds, searching out a boutique that caters perfectly to your tastes can be a fun way to spend the day in London. Online shopping guides even offer street-by-street breakdowns of interesting shopping areas to give you a head start.

4. The arts. Theater, film, applied arts, visual arts – you’ve got the pick of the litter in London. For live performances, it’s best to check current listings, but for some theater performances, you might have to book tickets well ahead of time. For some uniquely local perspectives, consider opting for a small-scale theater performance rather than a musical that’s staged in multiple locations around the world. Modern art enthusiasts should make a pilgrimage to the Tate Modern, while those with more traditional taste can delve into the cozy Cortauld Gallery, which features art from the Renaissance to the early 20th century.

Since so many London flights go through New York, if you’ve got an extra day or two to spare, add some time in the Big Apple. Finding affordable New York hotels is a lot easier than it used to be, thanks to travel sites that allow you to comparison shop, like Travelocity.com.