We’re the generation who can’t afford to wait

Music. The remedy to stress, anxiety, and sometimes pain. Music. The reason for laughter, good times, and joy. Music. The soundtrack for sadness, sorrow, and misery. Music. The birthplace of change, and the burial song for life.

Tuesday marked change for the country when the health care bill was signed by President Barack Obama.

As I anxiously watched CNN throughout the day and witnessed history in the making, the first thing that came to my mind as this historic bill was being signed was music.

Well over a year ago, as my eyes were glued to the television while I watched the Democratic National Convention in Denver, I remember hearing a song whose meaning really tugged at me as the fate of the bill was determined late Tuesday morning.

“If you hear this message, wherever you stand, I’m calling every woman, calling every man. We’re the generation, we can’t afford to wait.

The future started yesterday, and we’re already late,” words sang by John Legend from his song, “If You’re Out There.”

What is our generation’s purpose? Where do we stand on issues that have a direct impact on our lives?

Time and time again, the older generations cry out that the youth of today have no purpose, or they claim that they have such a short attention span, that if they did, they would not see their cause out to the end. As much as I love to prove people wrong, I have very little evidence to work with to disprove our elders.

Barack Obama is a prime example of a person who recognizes a need for change, and actually executes a plan to make that change.

When he started to talk about health care reform in April 2009, he was inspired by the numerous failed attempts to make a law where health care would be available to the masses.

“It’s been easy at times to doubt our ability to do such a big thing, such a complicated thing, to wonder if there are limits to what we as a people can still achieve,” Obama said after signing the bill.

Had Obama turned away at the first sign of protest against this bill, the nation‘s deficit may have continued to balloon out of control.

Had Obama given up at the first name he was called, children with pre-existing conditions would still not even qualify for care.

Had Obama killed this bill when the GOP refused to support him, the more than 32 million people without health insurance in the nation would still not receive the proper care they need.

Had Obama not “fell down, and got back up again,” like Donnie McClurkin’s inspirational gospel song says, health care may have only been a dream too far to grasp. 

As the youth of the nation, we have the ability and the knowledge to truly make a difference for the way we live our everyday lives.

I do not understand why more of us do not use that ability and knowledge.

Yes, there have been situations such as the students from Howard protesting against the administration for delays in financial aid, and the men from Morehouse College who protested against the change in dress code, but what cause has been sparked by the youth that actually affects a larger pool of people?

Young people are equated with the most new cases of AIDS and STDs in the nation. 

Young people are more prone to commit suicide while in their teenage years, and young people suffer from eating disorders more than any other age group. Teenage pregnancies have reached all time highs, as well as the teen high school dropout rate.

As Marvin Gaye would say, “What’s Going On?”

Young men and women of my generation, what is important to you?

What issue is worth your fight? Where in the history books will your story of change be found?

History is not at all just about the past, you have the power to make history yourself today.

Like John Legend says, “the future started yesterday, and we’re already late.” 

• Kelcie McCrae