Bibbs gets 500 wins, makes HBCU history

Patricia Cage-Bibbs, N.C. A&T’s women’s basketball coach has joined the NCAA Division I 500 wins club. The second MEAC coach to be in this club and also the first to do so in a Division I HBCU.

Patricia Cage-Bibbs, N.C. A&T’s women’s basketball coach gained her 500 career victory Monday, Feb.27 the as Aggies beat Savannah State 88-74.

Because of this accomplishment, she joined the NCAA Division I 500 wins club, became the second MEAC coach to be in this club, and also became the first to do so in a Division I HBCU.

Bibbs has coached seven out of 13 MEAC Championship games and has 75 winning percentage in all of her games.

Bibbs has been coaching for 27 seasons and started her college coaching career for Grambling State University, her alma mater. She won 244 games in 13 seasons and became a member of their hall of fame. While coaching for Hampton she won 127 games in seven seasons.

She has been coaching at A&T since 2005 and her career record is now 500-292. Last year, she brought the Aggies in with their fifth season winning record.

She also has three MEAC tournament titles underneath her belt and won her last in 2009 with the Lady Aggies. This was the Aggies first MEAC Championship win in 15 years.

“Then it was 100, then 200, then 300, then 400. I never really thought about 500,” Bibbs said in an A&T press release.

She has won numerous awards such as the 2008 Empowerment Award, Legend Award Recipient for the Black Women in Sports Foundation, SWAC Hall of Fame and MEAC Coach of the Year for 2008 and 2009.

The Aggies play Norfolk State at home Thursday, March 1st at 5:30pm. There will be a ceremony for Bibbs for her 500th win.

[email protected] and follow us on Twitter @ATRegister

• Necole Jackson, Register Reporter