Phi Beta Sigma supports black businesses

The Eta Chapter of Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Incorporated took a stand to raise awareness on the importance of supporting black businesses.

During the last few weeks, the Eta Chapter of Phi Beta Sigma, Inc. has been conducting research through a random sample of roughly 100 individuals on local college campuses and the surrounding community.

“Bigger and Better Business is one of the national initiatives for Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Incorporated. I have been in this position since being initiated into the chapter in the spring of 2014,” said Damian Jeffers, Bigger & Better Business chairperson for the Eta Chapter of Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Incorporated.  

The research was done to get different perspectives regarding black owned businesses while also raising awareness on the importance of supporting black owned businesses. “As the chairman for the Eta Chapter, it is my responsibility to implement events that would promote and foster ideas for the effective organization, improvement, and expansion of sound business principles and practices,” Jeffers said.

“After speaking with several business owners, aspiring African American entrepreneurs, and self-educating myself about the importance of this issue, I saw the need for this to take place,” Jeffers stated.

The members in the Eta Chapter of Phi Beta Sigma, Inc, were all elated about Jeffers idea.

“I am very proud of Damian for spearheading this effort! He serves as our chapter’s Bigger and Better Business Chair and it is refreshing to see that he took the initiative to tackle this project as a new member in our organization,” said junior Terrance Odom.

According to Jeffers, after research was completed, there were also polls taken. The race and ethnicity category of the demographics broke down as follows: 92.5% African American, 3.75% other, 2.5% Caucasian, and 1.25% Native American. Over half of the population, 55% stated they were not aware of the black owned businesses in their community while 43.75% said they were aware. Jeffers also stated that 1.25% of people responded that being aware of the black owned businesses in their community really did not matter to them.

“Black business is the foundation for future success, not just in America, but worldwide. Black businesses are the necessary stimulant in our communities that ensure growth and development,” said Jamal Averett, member of Eta Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc.

In the coming weeks, the chapter will host a wall of pledges to offer facts and give the campus the opportunity to vow to support black owned businesses.

—Email Kameron at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter @Kameronnj

• Kameron James, Contributor