Five questions to ask when packing for vacation

You booked your trip and the excitement is mounting. As the date nears, you start to think about what you need to pack and it’s an overwhelming decision. Here are some simple questions to ask yourself to help narrow down what you need and what can be left at home.

1. What is the typical climate?

What is the typical weather for the area you’ll be traveling to? There may be a big range in temperatures from one month to the next, or little at all depending on the location. If you’re looking into San Diego vacations, you’ll learn that the weather is often mild and sunny most of the year. If you’re visiting Minneapolis, you’ll want to pack light for hot summer months, or warm clothes for cold, snowy winters. When in doubt, pack clothes with multiple uses such as a shawl or cardigan, and clothes you can layer as needed.

2. Where are points of interest located?

It’s best to get addresses and contact information prior to leaving for points of interest on your next trip. Print out and bring current maps with you. Whether you’re heading to a big city or a remote village, a map can be a valuable tool that takes up very little space. Remember, not everywhere will have available cell phone and Internet.

3. What is necessary to pack while traveling overseas?

Traveling to a different country is an adventure, but it also means a bit more planning ahead. Make sure you sign and bring your passport with you. Bring a copy of your itinerary with you and leave one with a friend at home. If you’re researching Europe vacations, call the hotel and ask what is included and what type of outlets they have so you don’t bring items you won’t need or ones that simply won’t work.

4. What types of shoes are needed?

Having the right shoes is a necessity, and because they take up a lot of luggage space, you want to only bring the ones you need the most. People who plan Costa Rica vacations often recommend packing shoes that are good for hiking because most visitors want to hike the lush tropical landscape. If you’re heading to New York City for a weekend on the town, you might want your basic black dress shoes that would be appropriate at a nice restaurant and at a Broadway musical.

5. What media devices will you need?

You’ll likely want to bring your camera to take pictures of the incredible memories you’re about to make. Don’t forget the extras such as batteries, media cards and chargers. A helpful hint is to use clear sealable bags for each item and put all accessories in the same bag. That way when you need your camera, the charger and memory card are with it all in one place.