Album Review: Attention Defecit

We are hip-hop too!

This is the message Wale delivers as you listen to his new album, “Attention Deficit.” With one of the largest African-American populations in the world, D.C. finally has an artist to put them on the national and international hip-hop scene. Wale’s debut album does not disappoint. He shows an ability to mix excellent lyricism with a flow that will keep the listener engaged to the song.

Wale also shows his realization that the D.M.V. area is relying on him to put them on the map, and he doesn’t shy away from the pressure in songs such as “Chillin” and “Contemplate.” He sums it up in the very first line of the intro entitled “Triumph.” “I ain’t trying to be politically correct but, I won’t stop ‘til I’m given my respect.”

Respect for his talent on the microphone won’t be hard to come by after a listen through of this album. Bun B ripped into the third track entitled Mirrors, where he and Wale express how some artist make up gimmicks because they can’t face themselves. Gucci Mane makes an appearance on the go-go influenced single “Pretty Girls.”

Wale also shows his versatility and ability to go deeper with real life issues better than most rappers of today. He delves into the problems of young girls trying to live the celebrity life in “90210,” and the struggles of growing up as a dark skinned brother amongst different tones of people in the song “Shades,” featuring Chrisette Michelle. “I never fit in with the light skins. I thought the lighter that they was, the better that they life is.” Cool & Dre, The Neptunes, and Mark Ronson are just a few of the producers who added production for this project.

He also has guest appearances from Jazmine Sullivan, Pharrell Williams, Lady Gaga, Marsha Ambrosius, and J. Cole to name a few. Wale debuts with a very good compilation of tracks recommended to anybody who is a fan of hip-hop. 

Grade: A 

• Prince Askew