Cruise lines show you the best of Germany, from the Mosel to Munich

If you think Germany is all about sleek architecture and modern art, think again. While cities like Berlin and Munich pulse with progressive-minded activity, the country’s traditional heart can be seen in the countryside and small towns. One of the easiest ways to sample the best of Germany – both modern and traditional – is to take a river cruise.

Europe cruises that loop through the Mediterranean or travel between sunny Greek isles are perennially popular, but more travelers are discovering that cruising the smaller waters on the continent offers an incredibly rich experience. Cruise lines make it easy to see a lot of the country in a relatively short span of time – though you can certainly linger if you want to, by booking a few extra days on land.

Germany’s rivers flow with centuries of history – they often play a part in national legends because they have been so important through the ages. No matter which river you choose, you’ll be treated to charming towns and dramatic scenery. Here are some of the top cruising options.

* The Danube (Donau). The river of the famous waltz is one of the most legendary routes in Europe. While it flows well beyond Germany’s borders – all the way to the Black Sea – the towns you’ll visit on a Danube river cruise are some of Germany’s most inviting. Some of the stops generally include: Passau, near the Austrian border, which sits at the confluence of three rivers (the Inn and the Ilz as well as the Danube); Regensburg, one of the best-preserved Medieval cities in Europe; and Nuremberg, which has a fascinating fortress, charming old town and a turbulent history. After your cruise, add on a few days in Munich, the capital of Bavaria.

* The Moselle (Mosel). This twisting river winds through some of Germany’s most beautiful scenery. It’s a popular wine-growing region and the wines of the region rank among the top in the world. Unique to the region are sweet wines like Eiswein (made when the grapes are partially frozen, and have a higher sugar content) and others with nearly unpronounceable names like Trockenbeerenauslese (dried berry select harvest). The towns along the Mosel are just as sweet as the wines, and will win your heart just as easily – one of the most memorable is Trier, the oldest city in Germany.

* The Rhine (Rhein). A cruise along the Rhine will take you to some truly memorable cities, as well as through dramatic slate hills in wine-growing areas. Some of the stops on a Rhine tour might include: Cologne, with its spectacular Gothic cathedral, is a friendly and charming city that is easy to explore; Heidelberg, a city of fairytale beauty topped with an atmospheric fortress; and Cochem, a quaint village that boasts a still-standing medieval gate and a lively marketplace.

To explore what cruise lines have to offer, go to sites like Travelocity.com. There you’ll be able to compare prices and itineraries and also book Munich hotels at great prices.