Simple driving safety rules for your teen

Getting a driver’s license offers a sense of independence that’s hard to match. But it’s more important than ever for parents to set some ground rules when their child climbs behind the wheel. After all, mom or dad still gets to make the rules for a couple more years.

The sooner you set expectations with your child about how things will go once he or she gets behind the wheel, the better. By laying down your rules for driving safety early, you will give your child a clear picture of what’s expected. After all, driving is a privilege that can be taken away, not a right.

Here are a few possible rules you may wish to consider for your child:

* Have periodic check-ins or ride-alongs to evaluate your child’s driving. Use this as an opportunity to reinforce driving safety lessons. Be sure to compliment your child if he or she is doing a good job; this reinforces positive behaviors.

* Teach your children to plan their routes before they leave the house. Since they are new to driving, they probably don’t have an expert understanding of roads in your town. GPS devices may provide assistance, but your children will be less distracted if they know where they are going ahead of time. Ask them to repeat their route to you before they head out the door.

* Set a zero-tolerance policy for alcohol. You probably already have set rules and don’t allow your child to drink if he or she is not of legal age, but be sure they know that getting behind the wheel after drinking is never an option. In addition to making them aware of your own (likely stricter) punishment for such an offense, make them aware of your state’s DWI laws, as well as what will happens to a person’s auto insurance quotes after they have been convicted of a DWI.

* Set rules for cell phones. While you may want your child to have a phone with her in case of emergency, educate her about the laws in your state regarding driving and talking or texting. You may wish to limit use of the phone further by requiring kids to place phones somewhere out of reach while they are behind the wheel.

* It may also be advantageous to set stricter rules as your child first gets behind the wheel and then relax them as your child demonstrates safe driving behavior – much the same way that auto insurance providers give better rates to those with accident-free records. This way, your child will have a tangible reward in exchange for your increased trust. If your auto insurance provider gives you a break if your child has good grades or a clean driving record, maybe give part of what you saved to your child as a reward.

For more information on driving safety and car insurance, visit Allstate.com.

Courtesy of ARAcontent