How to prevent car theft and protect yourself from car thieves

Do you lock your car doors every time you park and run into the mall? How about when you dash into the convenience store to pick up a gallon of milk, or at the end of the day when you park your vehicle in the driveway for the night? If you are a young and new driver, you may want to rethink your ways to protect yourself from car thieves.

Thieves steal a car in the United States every 26 seconds – and vehicle thefts cost Americans approximately $7.6 billion each year. Even if you are not a victim of car theft, you are still paying the cost. The National Insurance Crime Bureau estimates that theft and fraud increases the cost of auto insurance by $200 to $300 per year, per policy.

So, if you’re not taking car safety and your personal safety seriously, you really should. Here are some of the steps Allstate Insurance recommends you take to stay safe on the road:

1. Always park in well-lit, high-traffic areas. Thieves are less likely to approach a vehicle parked in a place where there is a lot of activity.

2. Lock your doors and close your windows every time you leave your car. Locked doors and windows serve as your first line of defense against thieves.

3. Never leave your keys sitting in the ignition when you exit the vehicle, and do not keep a spare set of keys in your car – thieves know all the hiding places.

4. If your vehicle didn’t come from the factory equipped with one, install a car alarm that will go off if doors or windows are opened without the key.

5. Another way to prevent car theft is by using VIN etching. This is the permanent engraving of a vehicle’s federally registered vehicle identification number (VIN) onto its windshield and windows. VIN etching is often seen as a deterrent to thieves. It makes it nearly impossible for thieves to profit from selling windows and windshields.

Following these car safety tips allows new teen drivers to keep themselves and their vehicle safe.