Visit these cities and start a lifelong love affair with California

Trying to wrap your mind around the idea of a California vacation? Our biggest, most populous state has such a variety of vacation options to offer that it can be difficult to imagine where to begin. From the mists that surround San Francisco’s Golden Gate Bridge in the upper portion of the state to sunny, crazy Los Angeles in the south, California offers an array of attractions, landscapes and cultures virtually unmatched by any other state.

You’ll need several vacations to fully experience California, but your first time there you’ll definitely want to start out in one of these can’t-miss cities:

San Francisco – Bounded by water on three sides, this city by the bay boasts sights and a climate unlike anywhere else in the state. Cheap flights to San Francisco make it easy to immerse yourself in the city’s diverse cultural neighborhoods and awe-inspiring Victorian architecture. With winding roads and hills that offer breath-taking views, San Francisco is a great town to walk in. But don’t miss a ride on the city’s iconic cable cars. When you’re ready to rest up for your next day’s adventure, you’ll find award-winning accommodations and hospitality in the many San Francisco hotels that cater to travelers from around the world.

San Diego – A world-famous zoo, access to family-friendly attractions like Legoland, and the sprawling, attraction-packed Balboa Park are just a few of the adventures that await visitors to San Diego. Known for its sunny weather, this coastal city at the southern-most tip of California also boasts delectable Mexican cuisine, and is a short jaunt across the border from Tijuana. Culture and history abound in a variety of museums and in the city’s legendary Gaslamp Quarter.

Los Angeles – Arguably California’s most famous city (and one of the world’s great cities), Los Angeles is the vibrant, beating heart of the state. Whether you go there to shop on Rodeo Drive or immerse yourself in the city’s movie industry, you’ll find plenty to fill your days in Los Angeles. Cheap flights to Los Angeles can be found online, with departures from all over the country. Entertainment aficionados will enjoy the many theaters and movie studios L.A. has to offer. If natural history is your thing, check out the La Brea Tar Pits. Or, for family fun, hop over to nearby Disneyland.

Napa – Head north and a bit inland to Napa, the heart of the state’s wine region. For decades, Napa and the surrounding valley have produced some of the world’s best-loved wines, but you don’t have to be a wine lover to enjoy all this city has to offer. The beautiful landscape makes the Napa Valley an awe-inspiring adventure for hikers and mountain bikers. And a plethora of spas ensure your Napa vacation can be as laid back as you like. Try a hot air balloon ride above the beautiful valley. Spend some time antiquing in numerous shops, and then kick up your heels in a local nightclub.

Your first California vacation is sure to be one of your most memorable – and almost certainly not your last – in this exciting, diverse state.