Aggies give Rattlers the boot

With another losing streak on the line and no 5th quarter for the fans to enjoy after the game, all eyes were on the Aggie football team.

The Aggies (5-4, 4-3 MEAC) beat the FAMU Rattlers (3-6, 3-3 MEAC) 16 -3 in Aggie Stadium Saturday.

A week after breaking their seven year homecoming losing streak, the Aggie football team battled their MEAC rivals, the Rattlers, who led the Aggies in the series 13 – 44 – 3.

The game turned into a battle of defense with both teams unable to score an offensive touchdown. Most of the Aggies offense came from the ground with Mike Mayhew leading the pack with 99 yards.

In house, the quarterback battle continued as Kwashaun Quick played the first half, and Lewis Kindle played in the second. “We will continue to play both quarterbacks in situations that give us the best chance in winning,” said Coach Broadway stated after the game.

The Biggest play of the game occurred when junior defensive back D’Vonte Grant intercepted a pass from FAMU quarterback Tyler Bass for a 35-yard touchdown return to seal the game in the fourth quarter. “This was a tough defensive battle and we fought hard to come away with the win,” Grant exclaimed.

Monday, Grant was named MEAC Defensive Player of the Week. In last weeks game Grant also made six tackles. This season he is second on the team in tackles with 70, and has returned two interceptions for touchdowns this season.

“He’s an undersized guy [who] to be honest with you, shouldn’t be playing,” said A&T head coach Rod Broadway. “But he has determination, he runs decently and he learns well. That gives him an opportunity to make some plays for us. That’s big.”

The player of the game without a doubt was freshman kicker Zach Cimaglia, who in past weeks struggled when his number was called. Cimaglia came in the clutch with three field goals to gain the lead early in the game.

This Saturday, the Aggies battle the South Carolina State University Bulldogs for the last home game of the season. The Bulldogs (4-5, 3-3) are coming off of a 41 – 23 victory over Howard and is looking to take the Aggies spot in the MEAC championship.

Even though both teams are not playing for a top spot in the MEAC, they will be playing for fifth place and the Battle of the Bulldogs trophy. The Bulldogs lead the series 30 – 18 – 2 and the Aggies are on an 11 game losing streak against them.

With this being the Aggies last game in Aggie Stadium this season, competing for the fifth place spot in the MEAC, and the covenanted Battle of the Bulldog trophy on the line, this has all the makings of a great game.

[email protected] and follow him on Twitter  @PaDaGreat

• Paul Smith, Contributor