Q&A with SGA’s Miss A&T

Is there a sense of Aggie Pride in Williams Dining Hall?  

In the last few weeks, it has become a problem for students to clean up after themselves on a regular basis. These continuous occurrences has led to a heavier work load for the staff of the cafeteria.

While it is known that the dining hall has room attendants, it is not their job to pick up after students after each meal.

It is the student’s responsibility to clean up after himself or herself.

Anthony Edwards, floor technician for Williams Dining Hall, is disturbed with the actions of students who do not properly clean up after themselves.

“I think it’s a combination of lack of initiative and the fact that younger students see older students leave trash behind, but it would be worthwhile to see older students and younger students cleaning their areas,” said Edwards.  

The duties for room attendants are to refill napkin dispensers, sanitize seating tables, clean up spills, sweep the floor, and refill salt and pepper shakers. It is difficult for the hall attendants to maintain their core duties because they are cleaning up after students. Consequently, tasks are falling short, which is now leading to longer shifts, aching backs, and unsatisfying customer service.

“It really upsets me when I

1. Describe Coronation through your eyes as the Queen.

Let me share that I am speechless when I start to explain how it feels. I have never planned such a large event in my life and Coronation was truly an amazing experience. James and I were engrossed in every part of the planning from the invitations, to the script, the programs, to the layout of the stage. Therefore, during Coronation, it felt like my dream had come true.

2. Some previous queens have described coronation as almost like a second wedding. Do you agree, if so why or why not?

I absolutely agree. As a woman, you dream about what you are going to wear to your wedding, who you will invite, and where it will be. As Miss A&T, it’s like that “wedding” I dream of was happening, but I already had the bridal party and the venue, I merely had to plan the details. My favorite part had to be looking for a “wedding” dress! I believe I tried on about 8 dresses and after I tried on each dress, my advisor asked the same question, “Do you feel beautiful?” I chose the dress I wore Sunday because I felt like it was “the one.”

3. You seem like such a beautiful person inside and out. What obstacles in your life have made you, you?

I have always loved people, but relocating from Waterbury, Conn. to Chesapeake, Va., has forced me to understand that God has created so many different types of people, and I should be open to learning from others because I never know what wisdom or knowledge they can share with me.

4. How does it feel to be Miss A&T?

Is it what you imagined?

I have always dreamed of being Queen, but I never imagined that it would actually happen. For weeks, I doubted submitting my application because I was too afraid to run, and I did not believe I would be able to successfully win. It’s more than I could imagine, but I do not take any portion of it for granted. I appreciate the people who have been placed in my path because of this opportunity and I am really grateful to be Queen.

5. I see that you are very involved with community service. Despite it being your job description, what motivates you to give back?

My family has always been involved in community service and has taught me how important it was. They put me in groups that were community service driven like my Debutante Cotillion and community service organization, Top Teens of America. I really like big community service project where a lot of people can be involved and I am excited about the current collaboration I have with Miss SUAB, Jasmyn Archibald, for a community service program called “Winter Wishes in Aggieland.”

6. What made you come up with the platform “Going for the G.O.L.D: Go Out and Live your Dreams?”

I really wanted to be very political and come up with a platform that was strong and powerful. I wanted something like “Giving Opportunities and Leading Direction.” However, that simply was not me. I never campaigned for anything before, but I knew if I were to run, I would have to be passionate about whatever I was talking about. This is when I came up with “Going for the G.O.L.D.” I live my life somewhat like a fairytale. I try to create the happiest environment for myself because I realize how quickly life can be taken away from you. My outlook on life leads me to believe that since each day is not promised, I should reach for the stars.

7. What do you plan to do once you graduate?

I want to go to the Peace Corps and volunteer in South America. I thought I wanted to use my major and go into a business sector, but I am more interested in working with kids and helping them learn English, as I continue to learn Spanish.

8. What is something that scares you?

I think I’m truly afraid of God calling me home and not completing all of my assignments while here on earth.

—Email Taylor  at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter @sweeteey94

• Interview Conducted by Taylor Young, Managing Editor