Scent and sight combine for a truly stylish home

(ARA) – Whether your home is an expression of clean-lined modernism in stainless steel and glass or a warm and worn harmony of earth tones and antique furnishings, an often-overlooked element of home style is the unseen atmosphere that you breathe. Customizing a unique palette of aromatic style is no less an expression of your personal taste than the selection of wall color, furnishing and fabrics.

More importantly, if you want a home that’s toxin-free, you’ll want to select home fragrance options carefully, and not choose synthetic commercial options. Synthetic-based home fragrance products like conventional plug-ins, fabric deodorizers and room sprays are often associated with adverse physical reactions and increased chemical sensitivity in humans and pets. These scents are also often very obtrusive and lack the subtle nuances of 100 percent pure essential oils – true aromas that are created in nature.

The basic elements of safe and natural aromatic style begin with individual essential oils which are steam distilled from plants. Essential oils are extracted from roots, woods, resins, leaves, flowers, fruits and seeds. Synthetic fragrances, on the other hand, rely on highly concentrated hydrocarbon molecules that are synthesized from non-renewable petroleum.

According to Aura Cacia aromatherapy expert, Tom Havran, the aromatic characteristics of essential oils are divided into radiant middle notes, long-lasting base notes and fresh top notes. The most effective natural home fragrance is composed of a blend of essential oils that captures a balance of middle, base and top note oils. The process of creating this aromatic balance is similar to what you’d do to create visual balance as you select a palette of home decorating colors with an eye toward the main middle ground hue, the darker base shades and the lighter top highlights of your color scheme.

The basics of blending aroma start with the selection of individual essential oils. These are usually available at your nearest natural foods supermarket or co-op or online from a trusted source like Aura Cacia. Begin your signature scent with the middle note or heart of the aroma, based on your goal. Do you want something woody and earthy, or light and fresh, for example? Next, enhance the middle note with a related top note that will help your aroma expand and radiate throughout the air. Finally, select a base note that will give your blend stability and staying power as it diffuses throughout your home. There are dozens of essential oils with various aromatic characteristics to choose from and inspire you. Seek out a retailer near you that features a display of essential oils along with tester bottles so that you can sample a variety of scents before you purchase.

To get started, Havran suggests the following essential oils for their note classifications:

* Middle note essential oils include rose, jasmine, neroli, balsam fir, pine.

* Top note essential oils include lemon, grapefruit, lavender, eucalyptus, peppermint.

* Base note essential oils include sandalwood, patchouli, vetiver, cedarwood.

Havran then suggests you consider these blends to find the scent that complements your home’s style.

* Sleek and modern style: Middle note: four drops neroli; top note: six drops eucalyptus; base note: two drops cedarwood.

* Earthy and natural style: Middle note: Five drops balsam fir; top note: five drops grapefruit; base note: two drops vetiver.

* Light and airy style: Middle note: eight drops pine; top note: two drops peppermint; base note: two drops cedarwood.

* Passion and mystery style: Middle note: three drops jasmine; top note: four drops lemon; base note: five drops patchouli.

Feel free to experiment with the proportions (making sure to keep good notes so you can replicate the aroma) until you arrive at your ideal. When you have your blend ready, it’s easy to incorporate the scent into one or more natural and stylish home scenting options.

Fabric freshening mist

Use this simple, natural option (rather than a chemical cover-up spray) to deodorize your home:

Ingredients:

4 ounces water

24 drops essential oil blend

Directions:

Combine water and oils in a small spray bottle. Shake vigorously and lightly mist curtains and upholstered furnishings.

Candle lamp diffusion

Use a candle lamp diffuser – with an unscented, paraffin-free tea light candle – to suit your individual decor. This is a much less toxic option than synthetically scented candles.

Ingredients:

1/4 cup water

10 to 12 drops essential oil blend

Directions:

Place water in bowl of diffuser lamp. Add oil. Light candle and warm the liquid to release the aroma. Note: Extinguish candle before bowl burns dry.

Dried botanical diffusion

Sprinkle your aroma blend over an artful selection of dried botanical specimens – such as dried flowers, seed pods, whole spices, cones and interesting twigs. You can collect these items from nature or buy them at craft stores and can even find some online at sites like Frontier Natural Products Co-op.

Ingredients:

Bowl of dried botanicals

10 to 12 drops essential oil blend

Directions:

Arrange botanicals and sprinkle with oil. Refresh as needed.

Create a more complete, natural and toxic-free signature home style by considering the importance of aroma in your home environment. The process of enhancing your home with a one-of-a-kind scent is no less important than selecting the furnishings in your rooms or the finish on your walls and woodwork. Pure essential oils are the natural building blocks of your personal aromatic style and a safer, more unique alternative to products containing chemical fragrance. For more information about using essential oils in your home, visit www.auracacia.com.