Make this your summer of discovery with National Parks and cheap flights

They’ve been called “America’s best idea” and virtually every man, woman and child in the country lives within easy traveling distance of one. Visiting every one of them would fill a lifetime – and what a lifetime it would be, taking in some of the most beautiful, diverse and fascinating scenery in the world.

America’s National Parks system of nearly 400 locations is unparalleled in the world. An experiment in preservation officially begun in 1916 with the creation of the National Park Service, today the system protects more than 83 million acres. Sites range from historic homes, buildings and battlefields to seashores, national monuments and natural preserves. Every year they draw millions of visitors who pay nothing – or a nominal fee – to access the awe-inspiring heritage preserved in the parks.

Because the parks are spread out across the nation, you’re never farther away from one than a short drive or a set of cheap airline tickets. A National Park visit is a great way to spend your summer vacation. You’ll enjoy natural splendor and enriching history – for far less than you would spend on a beach vacation or a visit to a major amusement park.

Start your planning with a visit to the National Park Service’s home page at www.nps.gov, where you can search for a location near your home. Or, if the park you’re interested in is farther away, check online for cheap flights that will put you close to the action.

While you’re planning your National Park vacation, consider adding these five famous and fascinating sites to your list of must-see parks:

Yellowstone – Created by an act of Congress in 1872, Yellowstone was America’s first National Park. Today, it sprawls across Wyoming, Montana and Idaho, providing a safe home to a wide range of wildlife, from grizzly bears to bison. It’s the home of the world’s most famous geyser, Old Faithful.

Sequoia and Kings Canyon – Located in the northern Sierra Nevada Mountains in California, this park is home to some of the tallest, oldest trees in the world – the Giant Sequoias. The tallest one, dubbed the General Sherman, stands nearly 275 feet tall, measures 102 feet in circumference at the base and is thought to be between 1,800 and 2,700 years old.

Blue Ridge Parkway – The scenic byway stretches nearly 500 miles along the Blue Ridge Mountains through North Carolina and Virginia. On this peaceful, meandering drive, you’ll find breath-stealing views and historic sites that include some of the oldest settlements in North America.

Effigy Mounds National Monument – Over 200 Native American burial mounds are preserved within this monument located in Iowa. More than 1,000 years ago, Native American peoples in the area that is now Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota and Illinois created burial mounds, many in the shape of bears and birds, to honor departed loved ones.

Devils Tower National Monument – Made famous in the movie “Close Encounters of the Third Kind,” Wyoming’s most recognizable land feature is a marvel of Mother Nature’s skill as an engineer. No one is quite sure how the tower was formed, but today it stands more than 1,200 feet above the surrounding countryside.

Hundreds more natural wonders and historic monuments await discovery, preserved for all Americans thanks to the National Park Service. With so many options to choose from, you’re sure to find a park for you – and cheap flights to get you there.

Courtesy of ARAcontent