Plater to leave A&T for Strayer

After five years, the Dean of the College of Arts & Sciences, Michael J. Plater, will be leaving North Carolina A&T this week. Plater decided to leave A&T after being offered the position of Provost at Strayer University. Dexter Mullins sat down with him to get his final thoughts before leaving Aggieland for good.

Dexter Mullins: What made you apply for the position at Strayer?

Dean Plater: I didn’t apply; they came to me about the position. It turns out that Strayer is a for profit institution, and I have an MBA and a PhD. In that particular environment I am able to see both sides of the issues, so I have a background that is fit to what they do. I assume they saw that and thought I would be a good fit. They primarily deal with adult learners and the ability for adults to get education becomes critical, especially if we are going to follow Obama’s goal of more educated citizens. 

DM:When do you start?

DP: I start March 1. DM:What will you miss the most about being here?

DP:I think the people in the College of Arts and Sciences, the faculty and staff, they have been like a family, really embracing. It was a great experience to work with all the people around me. We have come together and blended to become a pretty effective force for the college.

DM: How long have you been the Dean?

DP:I have been the dean for almost 5 years.

DM:What was your best A&T experience?

DP:Graduation. I think graduation, homecoming, and probably some of my one-on-one conversations with students. You put all three of those things together, and that is what I will miss.

DM:Will you be back to A&T to visit?

DP:I will be back to visit. My wife will still be here while we’re selling the house, so I will be here pretty frequently over the next couple of months, probably over the weekend. Also Strayer has a campus in Greensboro, so I will be in N.C. very frequently.

DM:What have students been saying?

DP:I think some of them have expressed disappointment that I won’t get a chance to shake their hands at graduation, but others have been understanding, and they wish me luck and success. It’s bitter sweet.

• Dexter R. Mullins & Sylvia Obell