Setting the perfect table this season

(ARA) – Entertaining at its best happens during the holidays and families and friends create many nostalgic memories around the dinner table. At this busy time of year, you may be tempted to put your table setting on autopilot by using the same plates, stemware and napkins from years before. This season, strive to update your look by dedicating your decorating time to the area where guests gather to eat. A well-appointed tabletop can elevate an everyday meal to an elegant and sophisticated soiree.

“Table settings are the backdrop for every meal, yet many hosts often overlook the importance of making that backdrop as appealing and functional as possible,” says Angela Giannapolos, event designer for STUDIO 3 Group, a New York event design and planning firm. “While it’s nice to bring traditional items back year after year, adding new hints of style to your table can go a long way to refreshing your look each season.”

Rather than setting a uniform table this year, consider these entertaining tips to add flair to your holiday look:

Accentuate with accessories

Linens and cloth napkins bring a rich feel to the table. Adding these accents in vibrant colors can make your dinnerware pop and bring a fresh yet festive air to your meal. A simple way to do this is to choose your favorite color and build a theme around it. Blue, green, silver and gold are on-trend holiday colors that can be used in monochromatic variations to make your decor shine.

Personalizing your table is another accessory tip that will go a long way with guests. Add reminiscent decor to your setting with items such as vintage Christmas ornaments and pictures from past seasons. Not only will your table look festive, it will also be a fun way to spark holiday conversation.

The perfect tabletop pieces

When decorating the table, keep in mind that your dinnerware is the star of the show. Consider your personal style when choosing a plate pattern and be sure it’s versatile for many holidays to come. Visit Oneida.com for a range of options, such as the Culinaria Collection offering classic, elegant styles in festive colors or the “HoHoHo” dinnerware line to create a whimsical, seasonal approach to your table.

When dinner is over, be sure you have the perfect toasting flutes on hand to celebrate the year in review. Opt for classic champagne flutes, like Oneida’s Angelina style for an elegant touch.

Table setting refresh

Lastly, don’t forget the basics. With a full house and full table, you’ll want to be sure the proper etiquette is top of mind. Here is a table setting refresh for the season:

* Forks go to the left of the plate.

* Knives go to the immediate right of the plate, with spoons situated to the right of the knife.

* If you’re using a bread plate, position it above and to the left of the main plate, and lay the small butter knife diagonally across it.

* Beverage holders such as water goblets, wine glasses and cups, go above and to the right of the plate.

* If you need to add children’s sets to the table, visit Oneida.com for several progressive options.