Miss A&T showcases soulful artists

On Friday, Miss North Carolina A & T and the Cultured Class showcased an array of body art, soulful music, and photography called “Eclectic.”

As students made their way into Exhibit Hall, the room was filled with a mixture of pastel colors and soulful music that set the mood as the audience waited for the first performer of the night.

Ayinda, 2007 A & T alumni, painted the models’ bodies in front of the students so they could have the opportunity to experience how his artistry comes to life.

“I think subconsciously I kind of feed of the energy of a person.”

“The paint feels really cold at first, then it becomes sticky, and finally it becomes dry…the colors on my body are portrayed through the energy that I display,” said Courtney Key, a sophomore Liberal Studies major from Raleigh, NC.  

While students were waiting for the technical difficulties to be resolved, they mingle with familiar faces, danced, and observed the models that were covered in paint.

“We always felt that the art lifestyle was needed to balance out work and school because we all need that art aspect to balance everything out,” said Eve Keita, a senior Journalism/Mass Communication major from Raleigh, NC.

In order to incorporate a mixture of music, art, and class, the scenery resembles a club lounge mixed with an art gallery where students were being catered to. Moreover, students were able to hear the musical stylings of A & T alumni. 

“My inspiration comes from listening to other artist and what I like it them.

That resonates through me and through that I found myself creating sounds,” said Raheem McRae, an A & T alumni.

Next, McRae took the stage and graced the audience with his soulful originals like “Falling to the Ground,” and “Jupiter.”

After McRae left the stage, the audience burst out in cheers and applauses.

“I could not wait to see Beautiful Experience because I like how their music uplifts me,” said Natasha Hayer, a senior Finance Major.

Beautiful Experience is an A&T alumni group who focuses on building grooves than straying towards popular music.

Granted, after the long and anticipated wait for Beautiful Experience, they finally took the stage with their transferrable music genre of neo-soul, hip-hop, rock, reggae, and go-go.

As Beautiful Experience performed songs like “Another Again,” and “I’ll Always Love You,” the audience swayed from side to side.

After the event was over, students and participants commended the program and safely exited Exhibit Hall.

“I think it was a great success and I do hope that students were able to receive the full experience of what it means to embrace art, music, and each other,” said Miss A & T Ngozi Opara.

• Chelsea King