University lockdown lifted

12:19 p.m: The lockdown has been lifted.

12:15 p.m: “We are asking students and faculty to exercise best judgment. For their safety, we want them to remain behind locked doors,” said Nicole Pride, the Communications Chief at North Carolina A&T.

12:14 p.m: “We are still under a campus-wide search. The police department is doing it’s job and they will update us as soon as we know something different,” said Nicole Pride, the Communications Chief at North Carolina A&T. “I received a call shortly after 9 a.m. I got a report from police saying there was an unidentified person carrying a weapon… near the General Classroom Building. So we immediately sent out an alert to students.”

11:51 a.m: @ncatsuaggies tweets, “NCAT is still on lockdown. Please adhere to all Campus-Wide Alerts and updates.

11:41 a.m: a student tweets,  @_KicksAboveHoes Honestly #NCAT needs to get they priorities in order.. Classes being canceled & the same chicken every Friday shouldn’t be more than ya life

11:38 a.m: Live stream from WGHP right here: http://myfox8.com/on-air/live-streaming/

11:37 a.m: @ken_is_tagged tweets, “I am an alumnus watching this on tv at home. I hope and pray that we are taking this seriously!!”

11:32 a.m: No new updates from the university. Campus is still on lockdown and the police are still searching dorms.

11:12 a.m: @ncatsuaggies tweets, “#NCAT is still on lockdown please continue to adhere to official NCAT communication portals for updates.

11:10 a.m: University still on lockdown. Seven other Guilford County Schools are also on lockdown. We hope to have another update from A&T within the next 30 minutes. Scott Gustin, WGHP

11:08 a.m: Latest updated on www.ncat.edu: “The campus is on lock down. Just to confirm,the University Police Department received a report of an unknown black male with a weapon in the area of the General Classroom Building. No shots have been fired. The unknown suspect is approximately 5’11” wearing a blue jacket, blue jeans, blue cap and white t-shirt. The University Police Department is conducting a campus-wide search. We will provide udpates as they become available.

11:05 a.m: Updated link for the live stream provided by WGHP: http://myfox8.com/on-air/live-streaming/

11 a.m: @GCSchoolsNC tweets, “Additional GCS schools are on lockdown due to the situation at NC A&T: Dudley High, Bluford Elementary and the Academy at Lincoln

10:58 a.m: @GCSchoolsNC tweets, “Middle College at Bennett is following lockdown procedures as well, due to their proximity to the NC A&T campus

10:55 a.m: @ncatsuaggiesNCAT students, faculty, staff and all persons on NCAT campus are advised to continue to adhere to Campus-Wide Alert.

10:51 a.m: WGHP live stream is up right now here: http://myfox8.com/on-air/live-streaming/

10:48 a.m: “A&T police believe the suspect is likely no longer in the area, however they are still searching. A&T could not say if the suspect is a student” Scott Gustin, WGHP

10:47 a.m: “Area near Benbow and Lutheran Street have been “quarantined” while police conduct the search” Scott Gustin, WGHP

10:45 a.m: WGHP has teamed up with us to provide a live stream. Click ont he link. It should be soon here: http://myfox8.com/on-air/live-streaming/

Aggie Alert will provide updates when they are available.

10:30 a.m: AGGIE ALERT! From ther university sent out. No shots have been fired and the suspect is wearing a blue jacket, blue jeans, blue cap and white t-shirt. The University Police Department is conducting a campus-wide search.

10:24 a.m: @BennettCollege tweeted: “Due to the lockdown at A&T, individuals are requested not to travel to the A&T campus until further notice

10:23 a.m: A&T tweeted: “The Campus-Wide Lockdown alert will remain in affect until otherwise stated. #NCAT”

10:15 a.m: Awaiting for responses from the university

10:08 A.M: Guilford County Schools has said the Middle College at A&T and the STEM Early College are both on lockdown as well.

Police have responded and is on the scene.

Parking Services has closed all gates with no access to this side of campus. 

North Carolina A&T State University is lockdown due to a man being seen having a rifle on campus. The individual is identified as a black male and the university has sent out an Aggie Alert and posted on the university website stating for all students to stay inside respected building and dorms and away from campus.

Crosby Hall, Craig Hall, Merrick Hall and General Classroom Building have all been evacuated until further notice.

The school posted the following alert on its website:

*** A black male has been seen carrying a rifle on Campus. The University is on lockdown. Everyone should stay inside, close and lock your doors and windows. ***

• Erik Veal, Editor-in-Chief