Aggies lose in weekend series against S.C. State

The North Carolina A&T softball team started off its weekend play with a double header against the South Carolina State Bulldogs.

On Apr. 2, the Bulldogs would open up a 2-0 lead in the second inning, as infielder Shannon Baity hit a home run to left field.

Outfielder Sonya Giles reached off a double by Bulldog catcher Kelsey Grochow.

In the third inning the Lady Aggies’ offense put runners in scoring position but could not capatilize as the shortstop for S.C State made a catch on a Dominique Gillard fly ball.

In the fourth inning the Lady Aggies once again made an effort to score.  

With two runners on with only one out, the Aggies’ scoring potential was halted by strikeouts by bulldog starting pitcher Raven Johnson.  

The Bulldogs would gain another run before the end of the third inning.

The Aggies continued to push but were not able to score any runs and fell to the Bulldogs 3-0.  S.C. States’ Johnson picked up the win and sophomore Hope Fletcher took the loss.

A&T outfielder Tiffany Macklin and Jernigan led the Aggies with two hits apiece.

The second game went in similar fashion for the Aggies as the fell to the Bulldogs 5-2.

A&T found themselves trailing the Bulldogs 5-0 going into the bottom of the sixth.

The Aggies finally were able to score in the sixth off a sacrifice fly by Macklin.

Hill would continue the Lady Aggies’ offense stride with a homer to center field, pulling the Lady Aggies to within three of the Bulldogs at 5-2.

A&T was not able to score again and found themselves on the losing end for the second time in two games.

Fletcher led the Aggies in the loss with two hits and one run. Hill added one run, one hit, and one RBI.

After losing both games of the double header to S.C. State, the Lady Aggies rebounded and defeated the Bulldogs 6-5 to end the weekend’s series.

A&T’s 6-5 win on Apr. 3 marks their first win against a MEAC opponent.

Outfielder Tiffany Macklin led NCA&T with two runs, two hits and one RBI.

Senior left fielder Ryanne Hill added three hits and two RBI’s in the Aggie victory; Sophomore infielders Lauren Clemont and Hope Fletcher added two hits and two RBI’s a piece.

The Bulldogs were led by catcher Kelsy Grochow with two runs, two hits, and one RBI.

Third baseman Shannon Baity added two hits and one run and Chelsea Evans recorded two hits and two RBI’s.

The Bulldogs led the Aggies 5-3 after the top of the seventh inning but could not hold on to lead and soon found themselves trailing the Aggies.

In the bottom of the seventh the Lady Aggies’ offense led by freshman infielder Juanita Jernigan, earned A&T three runs and a victory over the Bulldogs of SC State.

A&T opened the bottom of the seventh with a double by Jernigan followed by a double by Fletcher, which scored freshmen pinch runner Niasia Calhoun.

The Aggies would go on to tie the game at 5-5 off a RBI single by Hill. Macklin would score the game-winning run off a RBI from Clement.

The 6-5 A&T victory was the third game in two days between the Aggies and the Bulldogs. The Aggies fall to 7-18, 1-2 in the MEAC. With two wins over the Aggies, S.C. State improved to 6-31, 2-1 in the MEAC.

Hope leads the Aggies with 26 hits in 24 games and a .388 batting average.

Clement stands second on the team with a .311 batching average, compiling 13 hits in 21 games.   

The Lady Aggies are back in action on Apr. 9 against North Carolina Central in Durham, North Carolina.

• Gian Spells