Let the Auditions Began

Aggies are getting the chance of a lifetime to be an opening act for the India .Arie concert taking place April 25. Students of all majors came to Stallings Ballroom on Sunday at 2pm to audition and possibly become a part of this concert hosted by Miss A&T and the Richard B. Harrison Players.

Students came ready to broadcast their talents ranging from singing to poetry, art and dance. Even students from Bennet College for Women and University of North Carolina Greensboro auditioned. Potential openers were graded on stage presence, overall look, meeting criteria, originality, and general performance.

The judges that graded are all involved in performing arts. They included Darell Hunt, N.C. A&T alumni; Donaljia James, artist/playwright; Beverly Rouser, former Madison of the Showgram on G105 and Sunny 93.9; Evander Cooke, promotion director/writer/musician for 97.1; Gregory Horton, associate professor; and Morgan Addington, professional choreographer.

“I think the turn out was great because I didn’t know that there was a lot of talent in all the different majors,” said Latoya Nelson, a theatre major with a concentration in acting from Raleigh, N.C. This graduating senior serves as the project coordinator. “I am grateful for it and glad people came out. This is an excellent opportunity for someone’s career.”

The concert idea was initiated as a suggestion by a fellow professor in the theatre department, Hilda Willis. Mrs. Willis is the creative director for India.Aire. After coming up with the idea, they decided to partner with Miss A&T who is in charge of the marketing and media. “They wanted something positive to bring to campus,” stated Nelson. “After the whole Gucci Mane fiasco and all the other artists that have come here, they wanted someone with a positive message and who everyone loves.”

The A&T Register picked its top five auditionist’s in no particular order and decided to follow them on their journey.

Daivon Yareddick is a freshman liberal arts major with a concentration in dance from Alexandria, VA. She has been dancing since 5th grade and performed to “The Moment I Said It” which she choreographed her senior year in high school. Yareddick dances mostly contemporary and modern. “Opening for India.Aire will be a great accomplishment and will give my career great height.”

Tyler Jefferies is a sophomore accounting major from Asheville, N.C. She sang to the late Whitney Houston’s “I WIll Always Love You.”

“I didn’t know what to sing at first,” said Jefferies. “When I sang this song, I felt comfortable and knew this was it.” Though not sure if she wants to sing, Jefferies is open to the possibilities that opening for India.Aire can bring her.

Charlie Everette Jr. is a sophomore music education major from North Wilkesboro, N.C. He recently began playing the piano six months ago and singing his senior year in high school. He blew the judges away signing Beyonce’s “Halo.” This self-trained artist was supposed to help someone else in his performance and decided to try out for himself.

Brandon Brockington, a junior English major with a concentration in creative writing and literature from Baltimore, M.D., has been featured all over campus. He is the founder of Grand Trilogy, a poetry group in Greensboro, N.C. He performed his piece “Closet Freak,” highlighting his heritage and perseverance through different situations. “India.Aire is dope and this will be a great opportunity not for me, but for Grand Trilogy,” he said.

Jason Cameron is a senior JOMC major from Greensboro, N.C. He was very nervous and his mind went blank when he sang, but the judges could not tell. “I prayed to prepare myself for this,” said Cameron. Even though he is not that comfortable with his voice, he sang Donnie Hathaway’s “For All We Know” well. ” I would love to sing and get feed back from India Aire. If I don’t, just to meet her would be great.”

The 30 people who auditioned and were chosen to return will continue on in a three-month long workshop with Hilda Willis. The workshop is a creative development class that will assess the artists and give them direction in their talent. The number of participants will diminish until the one person is chosen to perform for the concert.

• Necole Jackson,Register Reporter