Tuition takes another hike

The UNC Board of Governors approved a 4 percent tuition increase for the 2001-2002 school year at each of the 16 universities. This systemwide act must be approved by the N.C. General Assembly before it can be implemented. Last year’s increase was 2.1 percent.The 4 percent increase will only apply to the in-state undergraduate and graduate tuition. At A&T, the tuition increase will mean an extra $39 a year from in-state undergraduate students and $41 from graduate students. Out-of-state undergraduate and graduate students will have the same dollar increase as the in-state students, which equates to a .5 percent tuition increase.”We are pleased with the moderate increase because we feel that our students would be able to afford it,” said Paula Jeffries, assistant vice chancellor.The Board of Governors raises the tuition to help support the state budget, which covers increases in enrollment, increases in the salaries of faculty and staff, improvements on students’ access to universities and the modernization of universities as well as other expenses.Jeffries said that the state is being more lenient on out-of-state students. Out-of-state students will save approximately $300 because of the board’s decision, she said. In the past, the tuition increases were the same percentage for both out-of-state students and in-state students. “Three hundred dollars may not seem like a lot of money, but when you’re putting it on top of everything else you have to pay, it is,” said Jeffries. Five North Carolina institutions raised tuition last year. This year UNCG has decided to raise their tuition above the state mandate of 4 percent. Jeffries says that A&T has decided not to impose a university increase for next year. A&T is concerned with its students’ financial situations. “We are very sensitive to the needs of our students and their ability to pay for college,” says Chancellor James Renick.Jeffries says that A&T’s decision makes it more competitive and affordable. She says that it could be the difference between whether a student will have the money to attend A&T.Renick added, “Even though compared to other states, tuition is low, we need to be careful and make sure that we continue to provide education accessible to our students.”