Moms want to contribute more to home finances, but feel they lack education and skills

(ARA) – As economic uncertainty continues, more moms are feeling the pressure to contribute more financially to the household. Yet many don’t feel prepared to do so, according to a new survey by American InterContinental University.

The survey of approximately 1,800 working and stay-at-home moms found that 90 percent feel the pressure pinch, with 65 percent desiring career advancement or considering a return to work. At the same time, more than 70 percent say they are not satisfied with their current education or skill set.

Jen Ziegenmier, vice president of student management at AIU and a working mom, says now more than ever, it’s important to provide moms with flexible options to further their education and skills. “I know many moms like me desire an education that will cater to their hectic schedules. Online education has done a good job of meeting these needs, helping moms obtain their education when it would otherwise be extremely difficult.”

In fact, 39 percent of all moms surveyed says they would prefer to pursue their education online. And for stay-at-home moms surveyed, an online study option was the unanimous choice.

For moms looking to go back to school online, Ziegenmier shares these tips for a smooth transition:

1. Establish short- and long-term goals: Whether it’s the goal of completing your coursework by the end of the week or setting a timeframe for earning your degree, adult students need to set realistic goals for themselves. With predetermined goals, you’ll be less inclined to throw in the towel when you face a hectic day.

2. Participate fully and regularly: Online courses may be convenient, but that doesn’t mean they’re a shortcut to education. Use the online tools available to you – chats, an online library, etc. – to get the most from your online coursework.

3. Determine your learning style: As a busy student and mom, it’s important to understand how you learn the best. Fortunately, online courses are evolving to meet individual learning needs. AIU, for example, offers a dynamic learning tool called M.U.S.E. – My Unique Student Experience – which enables students to choose the mode of learning that is best for them, from video to interactive tutorials to digital activities.

4. Expect the unexpected: It’s inevitable. Your computer crashes the night your final paper is due. Your daughter comes down with the flu the day before a homework assignment is due. Life as an online student requires setting reasonable deadlines for yourself so that you’re not scrambling and creating extra anxiety.

5. Communicate with your university – and network with other students: Being an online student doesn’t mean you won’t have a support system. Reach out to instructors or deans when you have questions or concerns just as you would in a live classroom. And some schools offer a virtual campus, which provides areas for students to connect and find other students with similar interests – from online clubs to a Facebook-like internal social network.

For more information on AIU Online and available degree options, visit www.aiuniv.edu.