Lady Aggies seek revenge against Central in home opener

The Lady Aggies basketball team will try to put their early season struggles behind them when they take on the Lady Eagles of North Carolina Central in their 2 p.m. home opener Saturday.Revenge has to be on the mind for the Lady Aggies, because the Lady Eagles smashed them 69-54 in front of the home crowd last year. In order to avenge a loss like that, the Lady Aggies would have to work together as a team and turn up the overall level of intensity. Coach Karen Hall is holding on to the hope that her team will not lay down and play dead. “We’re hoping that we can be competitive and win our home opener,” she said.One way to stay competive in this ballgame is to contain Central’s top scorers and All-CIAA Women’s team selections, Monique Fearrington and junior center Amba Kongolo. However, the Lady Aggies’ early defeats against Gardner-Webb and UNC-Chapel Hill may provide the needed emotional fuel for victory.The first defeat was a nail-biter against Gardner Webb, which the Lady Aggies lost only by two points. The second loss was an old-fashioned smackdown as the Lady Tarheels pummeled the Lady Aggies 101-33. As this edition went to press, the Lady Aggies were playing in the Stony Brook Tournament . The results are not availableDespite two devastating early losses, this team still has reason to hope for a turnaround. “I think that we will be okay and we are in the learning process,” said Hall. “There have been good performances by individual players, and all we need to do is pull together as a team.”