Morrow Hall residents feel safe despite recent arrest

The University Police Department is patrolling Morrow Hall around the clock after an incident, involving a former student, occurred in the residence hall Friday, Aug. 27 around 9:15 p.m.

UPD was called after receiving several phone calls from residents of Morrow Hall saying they heard screaming and there was an unknown man inside the hall. Morrow Hall is a female residence hall.

Michael Nwainokpor, 22, a former student at A&T, first approached two female students at the Memorial Student Union. While inside the union, he asked the students had they seen his wife, among other questions.

“He asked where the bathroom is, then the security guard told him there was no bathroom in the Sit-In,” said Tiesha Washington, a senior political science major from Washington, D.C. “He was quiet; he was just standing behind me not saying anything. My friend was putting money on her card, then I turned around and he was literally right behind me.”

Washington and her friend proceeded to leave the union, when Nwainokpor followed them outside the side ramp of the union. He then yelled to them, after they caught up with other A&T students.

“When we saw our friends, he ran the opposite direction towards the cafe (Williams Dining Hall),” continued Washington.

Nwainokpor made his way to the opposite side of campus by Alma I. Morrow Hall.

There he followed two other female students outside of Morrow Hall. He started a conversation with the students. When they felt threatened, they proceeding into their residence hall, when Nwainokpor followed them inside, catching the door.

The initial students he followed were able to get inside their room safely.

It was when other residents heard a commotion from inside the hall, that they began opening doors to see what was going on. After seeing a door opened, Nwainokpor forced his way into the room, which contained three residents. He locked the door and refused to let them leave.

One of the residents was able to escape from inside the room and then UPD was called.

UPD apprehended the suspect, after some struggle. Nwainokpor was taken downtown to the county jail, where he was processed.

“He didn’t allow them to leave the room,” said University Police Department Chief Glenn Newell. “Kidnapping is preventing someone from having their freedom.”

Nwainokpor was charged with false imprisonment according an official at the Guilford County jail. He is also charged with assault and breaking and entering.

Although some students on campus have heard of a rape or sexual assault on campus, Newell assured that those are just rumors.

“There was no threat; he was apprehended immediately,” commented Newell.

After the suspect was escorted away by police, students began calling their parents and informing them of the incident. Counseling Services was also called in order to provide consultation to all students.

“Anytime there is an incident on campus we provide consultation, first in person immediately and then continue with follow ups,” said Dr. Vivian Barnette, director of Counseling Services. “We provide literature on trauma, whether it is physical symptoms or emotional, and provide group/individual counseling if warranted.”

Until further notice, Morrow Hall has been under 24-hour coverage since the incident.

Although a press release was sent out to all the current students of A&T, through University Relations, there was no Aggie Alert text or email sent at the time of the incident.

“It was not necessary,” said Newell. “The minute we got the phone call, less than a minute later, he was in custody. If there is an imminent threat to the university or an individual, Aggie Alert is sent out.”

During the incident, there was a Resident Assistant (RA) on duty on the second floor of Morrow Hall. There was not an assigned Resident Hall Officer (RHO), as their duty begins at 10 p.m.

There was no RA on duty on the first floor where the incident took place. Janice Ray serves as the Resident Hall Director of both Morrow and Morrison residence halls.

Plans to extend the hours of RHOs were discussed during the 2009-10 academic year, but the implementation was not to begin until September.

Since the incident, Housing and Residence Life administration has begun a series of open meetings with the residents of Morrow Hall and will eventually meet with every other hall.

“The best way to work through these issues is with communication,” said Leonard Jones, the executive director of Housing and Residence Life. “We are reaching out to other halls, increasing staff visibility, physically walking around reminding residents of safety tips.”

The meeting for Morrow hall residents, which took place, Monday, in Harrison Auditorium, gave residents an opportunity to speak up about their feelings.

During the meeting, students were also given an opportunity to voice their opinions on how residence halls could be safer. Some requested that locks be added to bathrooms. Jones says he is already working with his staff to make the amenities.

“I did not see the man until they were taking him out,” said Carlotta Anderson, a freshman nursing major from Jacksonville, N.C., also a resident of Morrow Hall. “I feel safer since the meeting we had last night.”

Also in attendance was the Student Government Association executive board – the Kimball/ “Sanfoka” Administration.

“The ladies who were involved had no problems speaking up and out about what happened,” said Wayne Kimball Jr., a senior civil engineering major from Roanoke Rapids, N.C. “We (the Sankofa administration) meet weekly with UPD and have recently started campus safety walks.”

The purpose of a campus safety walk, as it concerns safety, is to walk the campus during late hours to see where more lights could be installed and to check the emergency posts that are located around campus.

“The last walk was done by the (SGA) executive board. Once an attorney general is elected we will being setting dates for future walks.”

According to Kimball, he sent a proposal to the Housing and Residence life administration on behalf of the SGA, which listed chances that could possibly be made to residence life.

One of those changes included was to revamp the job description of RAs.

According to officials at the Greensboro County jail, Nwainokpor was released Monday, Aug. 30 pending trial. His bail was set at $1,000.

He does not have any priors that he was arrested for in Guilford County. It is unclear if he has any priors in another county or state. It is also unknown if Nwainokpor is married.

• Jasmine Johnson