Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic make great vacations

What do sugarcane, clear blue waters, palm trees and umbrella drinks have in common? If you guessed Puerto Rico or Dominican Republic vacations, you are correct.

These two countries are becoming more and more popular for tourists looking to get away for several days, and the number of beautiful resorts they have within a short drive of international airports is a good sign these destinations are a good choice.

So what entices tourists to traipse around the DR or Puerto Rico? The sun, beaches, food, music, culture, water and history are just a few of the many activities you can enjoy on your trip.

History is big for both countries. Christopher Columbus was in the DR many times when he was sailing the ocean blue, and the city of Santo Domingo claims Christopher Columbus is buried in the Cathedral of Santa Maria at the Columbus Lighthouse. Columbus, his brother and his son had a big part in Santo Domingo’s early history, and there are accounts that Columbus’ wife had his remains shipped to the Dominican Republic after his death. But controversy is typical with history, and Seville, Spain also claims to have a gravesite that contains his remains.

In Puerto Rico – also discovered by Columbus – Spanish influence is very obvious, especially in San Juan, where forts, military operations and protecting sandstone walls can still be explored. But before the Spanish flourished, the Taino Indians lived on this island, and two heritage sites are dedicated to this culture: Tibes and Caguana. At these sites, you can study artifacts recently discovered and learn how the natives of Puerto Rico lived.

Of course, your trip won’t be only about studying history. This is a vacation, and Dominican Republic resorts are designed to perfectly cater to any tropical vacation interest you have. Fishing, snorkeling, sailing, tanning on the beach or sampling delicious foods can all be ordered for your pleasure.

It won’t be any different at the many Puerto Rico resorts where you can stay, and if you’re interested in hiking, zip lining, golfing or horseback riding along the beach, there’s a good chance you’ll find these activities near your hotel, or your hotel will be able to organize a fun excursion for your family.