You choose to watch vs What should you watch

Television now is filled with shows that deal with reality issues. Many shows on televisions now give a bad perspective of gender, personas, attributes in life and so much more. Rather than watching your typical hit drama series with women fighting anf throwing drinks, reprosessing people’s cars and talking about your pregnancy at a young age, you might want to take a more acceptable approach of two twins who actually have careers in life being positive role models, a modern family lifestyle and what it is like to be a real basketball wife. Checkout below the shows that we are watching and the shows that we should be watching.

What you CHOOSE:

Basketball Wives LA:Who said no one liked constant drama, girl fights, and jealousy? The ratings of “Basketball Wives Miami” allowed the new season of “Basketball Wives L.A.” to air. Some of L.A.’s top ladies in the new season include Gloria Govan,  Laura Govan, Kimesha Artest, Imani Showalter, Malaysia Pargo, Jackie Christie, and Draya Michele, who all brought in 3 million viewers on the Aug. 29 premiere. Monday nights will never be the same when watching the ladies of Basketball Wives L.A. on VH1 at 8 p.m. This show has nothing but petty drama and jealous grown women who all try to portray themselves as successful  and career driven. If you haven’t watched an episode then don’t be alarmed when you see the show is following a past stripper (Draya), who is trying to defend her name and show that she is a changed woman. It seems like the other girls do nothing but hate on Draya and the fact that she is an attractive, confident and young woman. The other women are aged, have had a few kids and some would call them washed up trying to make themselves relevant with this show. Is there a difference between this series and the Miami series? No, only the location is different, but the same old petty highschool drama is still the main focus which brings in the millions of viewers.

Teen Mom: Over time, people began to welcome the mothers of “Teen Mom” into their homes every Tuesday night at 10 p.m. MTV has shown the difficult yet loving times about having a child at a young age. In 2009, Maci Bookout, Farrah Abraham, Catelynn Lowell, and Amber Portwood brought MTV’s camera into their households and the cameras still have not left. This season, viewers have seen the updated lives of these young moms. We watched Maci and her boyfriend Kyle battle with her ex and baby’s dad Ryan over the custody of little Bentley. We also watched Amber and Gary keep arguing infront of their little girl, and we also watched the custody battle within this family. This season was nothing but a recap of where we last saw the families and how they deal with their lives with a toddler or missing their child like Kaitlyn and Tyler. Even though this season was nothing we hadn’t seen before, “Teen Mom” receives 3.838 million viewers and is the number one show in Tuesday’s Nielsen ratings.

Jersey Shore: The cast of the “Jersey Shore” this season has taken their ignorance to Italy. Snooki, The Situation, and the rest of the cast continue their drunken charades while fist pumping. The usual gym, tan and laundry is on the back burner as the group is destroying the Italy nightlife  as days continue. Italians were highly offended when the first season of the show was aired, given off a bad perspective of Italians in Jersey, now with the group in Italy, I wonder have they been harassed for bringing their drama with them. This show has been on for a while and each season has gotten worse. From Sam and Ron’s fighting, Deena’s lesbian affairs, to Mike running his head into a wall, this show is filled with drama. Their stupidity draws viewers in and they can’t stop watching, but they all should. We are putting money in their pockets, while they are making us lose brain cells.

What you SHOULD:

La La’s Full Court Life: Would you get tired of seeing females cause drama and are not really wives of basketball stars except for two.  La La Anthony, wife of New York Knicks forward Carmelo Anthony has taken the starting spot and is showing what it is like to really be a basketball wife. The television personality has welcomed the world into her life starting off the season with the trade of Carmelo from Denver to New York. Moving back to New York, La La is faced with the “golddiggers” of her family and friends who want tickets and V.I.P. status now that she is back in NYC. Along with the attention from her family, the media is trying to stir up controversy with her and the ladies of the basketball wives franchise and  the rumor is that Carmelo has another child in New York. Watch as La La deals with the media, social scene and trying to keep her insanity with all the chaos. LaLa is a real basketball wife that is handling her business in the world rather than living off her husbands expenses. You think Monday nights is about the “Basketball Wives L.A.”? It is truly on the east coast with New York’s first lady every Monday night on VH1 at 9 p.m.

Tia & Tamera: Unlike the other reality shows, Tia & Tamera is a reality show that is uplifting, encouraging, loving and funny. The twin sisters that we have loved from the tender ages of them being on “Sister to Sister”, have grown up to beautiful women. Tia, who had reunited with the sitcom world in “The Game” showed she could still act and nothing about her loving personality had changed. We didn’t know what Tamera had been up to since the sitcom besides rumors, but with this reality show it is good to know that the twins have not fallen victim to Hollywood. In this reality show which is on Style network, we see the two sisters going through two monumental moments in their lives; Tia getting married and preparing for her first child and Tamera planning her wedding to long-time boyfriend. The show has bought in the highest ratings for the network since the network has been on television. Support black love, black success and black women with watching our favorite twins and their new reality show.

Modern Family: This family sitcom has been welcomed to dying world of sitcom television and has so far prevailed. This show is no play on words with the title being exactly what you get from the show. Instead of getting the typical family dynamic like we’re used to getting from sitcoms, we get the visuals of the modern families of today’s reality. The show follows three families of which are all connected. We see the dynamic of a older man being with a younger sexy latina played by Sofia Vergara, whom also has an adolscent son. In this dynamic the son is the comic highlight with his smart remarks and sharp personality, you can count on nothing but laughs from this outrageous family. We also see the relationship of a homosexual couple who are complete opposites and how they deal with one another and the inner workings of the relationship. This causes laughs because of their arguments and how they seem to hate each other, but the evident love is what keeps them together and somewhat happy. The only “normal” family we see is that of the mom and dad who have three children, and the dad is still trying to fight for the father-in-law’s approval. This season we see appearances from the hilarious Kevin Hart, and if that isn’t reason enough to watch, this show has shown its genius with winning many awards at numerous award shows. Watch this guaranteed laugh every Wednesday at 9 p.m.

Will you be watching these shows now?

• Register Staff