How to host a great New Year’s Eve party

The clock is quickly ticking away the end of 2010, and it’s time for a celebration. Hosting a party this year will be a great way to ring in the New Year with your family and friends.

Alcohol tends to be a big part of New Year’s Eve parties. Here are some holiday safety tips for safely hosting a fun celebration:

* When inviting guests, be sure to discuss what type of transportation they plan to use to come to your party. Ask them if they will have a designated driver in their party, if they will need to spend the night at your house, or if they will be able to take public transportation home from your New Year’s Eve party. Many communities offer safe ride programs for this holiday, so check to see if one is available in your neighborhood.

* Consider using a limo service to collect and drop off your guests. Paying for one limo to transport several guests safely home after the midnight hour has passed may be a better deal than hiring several cabs for everyone attending your party.

* Only serve champagne when the ball drops, and offer sparkling cider for designated drivers. This way your guests won’t be inclined to overindulge, but can still toast the arrival of 2011.

* Collect keys when your guests arrive at your house for the party. Be prepared to host overnight guests with extra blankets, pillows and air mattresses on hand to keep everyone comfortable.

* Offer plenty of food to keep your guests full so they won’t drink as much.

New Year’s entertaining is a lot of fun and doesn’t have to be overly stressful when it comes to serving alcohol. Let your guests know ahead of time if alcohol will be served so they can make appropriate transportation plans.