Cell phones and cars – a dangerous mix

In many states, drivers are prohibited from using hand-held cell phones while driving, and for good reason. According to a 2009 study from the Harvard Center of Risk Analysis, cell phone use while driving contributes to some 636,000 crashes, 330,000 injuries, 12,000 serious injuries and 2,600 deaths each year.

If those statistics aren’t enough to get your attention, consider this research posted on the U.S. government website for distracted driving (www.distraction.gov):

* Driving while using a cell phone reduces the amount of brain activity associated with driving by 37 percent. (Source: Carnegie Mellon)

* Drivers who use hand-held devices are four times as likely to get into crashes serious enough to injure themselves. (Source: Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)

But what about hands-free devices? A study done by the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign supports the conclusion that this practice also causes driver distraction, though not as severe.

So what’s a person who wants to engage in safe driving practices to do? Well, if you must talk on the phone while driving, seek technology such as Bluetooth, hands-free and voice-controlled devices. That way you can keep both hands on the wheel and hopefully reduce your risk of getting into an accident.

Drivers who are able to avoid accidents are not only rewarded with peace of mind, but significant savings on car insurance. Insurance companies base their premiums on risk-factors and drivers who have an accident on their record, along with a speeding ticket or two, are considered riskier drivers to cover than those who practice automobile safety. According to the website www.carinsurance.com, speeding tickets and minor traffic accidents stay on your record for three years in most states.

Want to find out how the safe driving records of drivers in your household are affecting the rate you pay for insurance? Many companies offer free car insurance quotes online that you can get instantly any time of the day or night.