Is your wardrobe ready for cold weather fashion trends?

Every season has its own unique fashion appeal, from summer’s floaty dresses to winter’s cozy cashmeres. But even though we want the same feel every year, we don’t want the same look – that’s patently obvious when you look at what comes down the runways and then migrates onto the streets each season. This year, fall and winter looks don’t abandon the warmth we crave during the cold months, but there are some very defined trends that have fashion lovers everywhere very excited.

Neutral territory: If you start looking, you’ll notice that neutral colors are everywhere. The softer side of the color spectrum got lots of love on the runways, from Chloe to Marc by Marc Jacobs. Getting the look is simple: Keep it soft, yet sophisticated. Coats in classic shapes, like duffels or pea coats, are ideal in camel or soft grays. Keep the theme going all the way through your outfit – you can even go all-out monochromatic with trousers (try wide-leg versions) and tailored tops.

Ladies first: Femininity is on trend in a big way, but it’s not about flirty skirts and a lot of skin. Some are calling it “granny chic,” but it’s definitely a fresh look. Longer hemlines were seen in lots of shows that were well-loved by critics, from Fendi to Dries Van Noten. Another characteristic of the trend is the slinky blouse – silk is getting a major revival – but the modern spin is that the shirts are often sheer. On the runway at the fall/winter 2010 Prada show, dresses in almost mid-century silhouettes got an update with thoroughly modern patterns and a cut-out or two.

Rough and ready: Even if you’re not an outdoorsy type, you’ll find plenty of reasons to love looks inspired by the simple, functional beauty of military and hiking gear. Think leather, lug soles and lots of organic colors, like dark green, navy, golds and browns. The meeting of function and fashion has created some interesting items, like hiking boot-stiletto hybrids, but it’s also breathed new life into anoraks, cargo pants and utilitarian bags.

Keep it simple: Sleek minimalism is a key fall/winter look this year. And while it might seem like a no-brainer, it can be tough to actually pull it off. When planning for this look, don’t just stop at skipping intricate patterns. Achieving real linear simplicity means no frills and ruffles, even if they are monochromatic. Structure is key: if it’s neatly tailored, you’re on the right path. Then, make sure that everything is pressed and ironed perfectly and you’ll be presenting the perfect minimal picture.

To get the key looks of the season, explore what’s already in your closet and then add to it with up-to-the-minute designer clothes and accessories. By shopping online, you can pick out the designer pieces you need and often get them at a discounted price.