The Electric Lady Hopes to Shock and Awe Critics

When it comes to superstar Janelle Monae, “what you see is that you get.” Janelle Monae released her highly anticipated album, “The Electric Lady” on September 10, 2013. The album follows the journey of her alter ego Cindi Mayweather and an android, which Monae refers to as the minorities in America.

“The Electric Lady,” is a follow-up to her debut album “Metropolis Suite I of IV: The Chase” (released in 2007) and her sophomore album “The Arch Android” (released in 2010.) This album continues with her suite themes and “outer space” like ways.

The album is a mixture of funk, soul, and feel good vibes. Monae captures the mind and soul at the same time with this album. Songs such as “Look into your Eyes,” “It’s Code,” and “Can’t Live without your Love,” remind listners of the late 1970’s R&B music.

Whereas songs such as “Q.U.E.E.N.,” “Electric Lady,” and “Ghetto Woman” have a fresh R&B sound and are accompanied by live instruments, such as horns, a guitar, and a piano to give it that sound to just vibe.

These songs are also very empowering for woman and convey the message that it is okay to be yourself and do “your thing” in life. The album has a few legendary and talented features such as Prince, Erykah Badu, Solange Knowles, Miguel, and Esperanza Spalding. The album debuted at number five on the Billboard 200 chart, selling 47,000 copies in the U.S. Critics are saying Janelle Monae has created a “masterpiece” and first week sales go to show how the fans like the album.

Fans have shown numerous outpours of support and love towards her new album. One fan tweeted, “You never cease to amaze me.5 songs in & I already can tell that “The Electric Lady” is just as impressive as “The Arch Android.”

Monae responded to all of the love and support from her fans by tweeting, “I remember selling my CD’s out my boarding house on Parsons Street. Still humbled!” She later added, “Thank you. God is love.”

Janelle Monae is a very humble and inspiring artist.

She wants her music to inspire and encourage all, especially her fans.

She refers to her fans as F.A.N.D.R.O.I.D.S. and shares this message to them on the inside of her CD cover,

“May these songs bring wings to you when you are weak and humility when you are strong. May the evil stumble as it flies through your world.”If you have not heard

The Electric Lady by Janelle Monae, you are truly missing out.

Go out and support the talented artist .Janelle Monaes’ The Electric Lady album receives an overall A- grade for originality, spunk, and class.

Give this electric album a listen.

— Email Catherine at  [email protected] and follow The A&T Register @TheATRegister

• Catherine Singletary, Contributor