Barbie’ equals beauty

Many girls have conformed to the trend of being a “Barbie.” What is being a Barbie? If you ask some of your peers on campus they may say that it is a girl trying to be like Nicki Minaj. Some may say it is a fake, “plastic like” girl. Nicki grew up in Jamaica, Queens. Most girls from Queens are far from “plastic.” They are some of the realest people you will ever meet.

But if you ever could ask Nicki Minaj what a Barbie is, she would say in her UK impersonation, “being a Barbie is a beautiful girl who is equipped with a Ken, Pink Lambo, and a beautiful body.”

In my opinion Nicki Minaj just says what she knows people want to hear from her. She started a trend of keeping your MAC makeup handy at all times and your skintight outfits anywhere you go. You probably know at least one girl or boy, who enjoys seeing Nicki gracing BET with her coke bottle figure talking about money and being bi-curious.

The Barbie slogan girls are portraying is not all that great. I mean if that’s what Nicki wants to do, let her do it. However, for the girls on campus, that is not a good look. Guys cannot concentrate anymore in class! They are too focused on that chick with the corset and her boobs falling out with leggings that look like a second layer of skin.

Nicki, what effect have you had on these girls? Everywhere they look they see this fake vision and it makes them want to model it. Everyone has flaws, but I wish people were more honest about it for both women and men to see.

Celebrities have invested millions and millions of dollars to the plastic surgery business and now it is taking over the people who are not famous for anything.

There are the people who have a 9-5 job with 3 kids, just regular people who are investing in having the “Barbie” look. Have we lost our Barbie minds?

I have realized that the world is really becoming plastic right before our eyes. You cannot walk down the street without seeing someone trying there hardest to be someone else and that is sad. I personally can see they do not know their real identity.

I did not know who I was at one time. When I first came to A&T, I did not know how to keep up with all of the trends. I made the decision to let go of my insecurities and be myself. It is hard being able to find your true self when everyone is alike. I love to go outside the norm. I do not want to be a Barbie, but I respect Nicki Minaj for her fashion style she created, but that is just it, it is her style.

So many girls think they need to be that Valley Girl with the tight body. I hope my appearance on A&T’s campus shows everyone, that my style and my true self is beautiful. Being a Barbie will fade.

What is beauty? Beauty is the quality present in a person that gives deep satisfaction to the mind. Ladies, as black woman, we need to gain our sense of true beauty back. We do not need to pile on the MAC makeup and dress in heels everyday to walk to our 9am classes on campus because being dressed in sweats is just as beautiful as being dolled up. We need to be role models and break the standards. I’ll be the first to start the true beauty trend. I want to show people it is okay to be you.  

• Joiliee Havner