Tuition increases for all the wrong reasons

Akua Matherson, the vice chancellor of budgeting and planning, announced at an open forum that tuition for in-state students would increase to 6.5 percent and 3 percent for out-of-state students. 

This comes as a shock for most Aggies because last year A&T had the lowest increase in tuition among the 16 other state schools. 

Matherson said that the fees would go towards covering construction, student activities and debt services. The UNC System has urged schools to reduce costs because budgets will be cut again. 

A&T has increased tuition but has not stopped construction on campus. The General Classroom Building that is under construction was initially needed to house the University Studies department. 

However the University Studies program is no longer in place, so what will A&T do with this new building? 

The new sitting area that is under construction in the Bluford Circle is a waste of money. 

The school does not need a new sitting area when the administration is considering cutting faculty.

A&T’s facilities web site also shows plans to build a bell tower, press box, graduate engineering center and a new student health center that is contracted to be completed with the new General Classroom Building. A&T apparently values facility workers and administrative personnel over faculty. 

On A&T’s Human Resources Web Site there are over 30 vacancies for administrative personnel. Vacancies include a director of athletics, dean of the college of engineering, and several other positions that come with expensive salaries. 

Cutting faculty will not help because facility workers and administrative personnel cannot help retention rates improve. To save money, A&T must promote from within, cut secretarial positions, cut facility workers, minimize the use of vehicles off campus and maintain a closer eye on the operation budget. 

Furthermore, the overly paid administration must stop making students foot the bill if they continue to make costly decisions that will force them to increase tuition. 

The institution that is known for Aggie Pride should take pride in its campus by taking care of what we already have and stop building new buildings until old renovation bills are paid. 

New things are always nice, but when students are not graduating on time something is wrong. Money should be put into faculty and scholarships so that retention rates can improve-not new buildings, towers and sitting areas.

• Kenneth Hawkins