Fighting brain disorders, funding research with the power of amateur video

(ARA) – It’s a health issue that affects one in six Americans. Because it occurs in so many forms, the fight to prevent, treat and cure brain disorders demands the participation and support of a broad range of researchers, medical professionals, patients and support organizations.

And now, some budding film makers are getting into the act, helping raise awareness of brain disorders through the Neuro Film Festival with innovative, touching videos that share their personal stories with one of hundreds of different neurologic disorders.

Brain disorders – from Alzheimer’s disease and autism, to stroke, Parkinson’s and multiple sclerosis – affect one in six Americans, according to the American Academy of Neurology Foundation (AANF). You are more likely than not to know someone who has experienced a brain disorder of some kind. The National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke logs more than 500 disorders in its database.

“Millions of Americans each year will face a diagnosis of a brain disorder, or have a loved one diagnosed with a disorder,” says Christine E. Phelps, deputy executive director of the American Academy of Neurology Foundation. “Research is making headway toward treating, curing and possibly even preventing many brain disorders, but we can’t do it without your help. You can probably imagine the great need for funds to support these efforts.”

Through research, doctors are gaining a better understanding of how the brain works. This knowledge has helped create new treatments for brain disorders, such as clot-busting medication for stroke patients, better pain relief medicines for migraine sufferers and treatments to improve movement for people with Parkinson’s disease. Organizations like the American Academy of Neurology Foundation raise money to support research by funding research training fellowships for new investigators just starting out and development awards for clinical research into new therapies.

Now the Foundation is asking patients, their families and friends to help in its fund-raising efforts by creating short videos about how they or a loved one have been affected by brain disorders, and making the case for why more brain research is needed to find cures.The 2011 Neuro Film Festival contest runs through Feb. 15, 2011.

Entries should be no longer than 5 minutes. Participants upload their films on YouTube as a response to the 2011 Neuro Film Festival video on YouTube. Complete contest rules can be found online at www.neurofilmfestival.com. Winners could receive up to $1,000 and a chance to attend the festival event in Hawaii on April 10, 2011.

“The 2010 Neuro Film Festival exceeded our expectations with more than 65 videos accepted into the contest,” says Phelps. “The compelling and heartfelt stories submitted helped us raise awareness of the need for donations to support research that may ultimately lead to treatments or cures for hundreds of devastating brain disorders. We are looking forward to more people joining us in the fight to end brain disorders with the 2011 Neuro Film Festival.”