Students in need turn to campus pantry

SACRAMENTO, Calif. – College students are known to eke by on meager meals like peanut butter sandwiches, cold cereal and ramen noodles.

But as tuition skyrockets and family finances remain tight, some students are having trouble buying even such humble staples.

It’s given rise to a small but growing trend: the campus food bank, where hungry students can get a free can of soup, box of oatmeal or package of spaghetti.

A food pantry opened last week at the University of California-Davis, following similar efforts at the University of California-Los Angeles, Bakersfield College and Oregon State University.

“It’s the most basic need of a student – to eat,” said Davis student Ashley Thomas, who plans to use the pantry. “You can’t study for a chemistry final if you’re hungry.”

A recent survey of Davis undergrads found that almost 25 percent “somewhat to very often” skipped meals to save money and another 25 percent “occasionally” skipped meals for the same reason.

The finding spurred student government leaders Justin Gold and Hannah Kirshner into action.

During the fall term they contacted campus organizations and local businesses.

Donations came in from Campbell’s Soup, Sprouts Market, the Davis Food Co-Op and several campus organizations, Gold said.

KDVS, the campus radio station, gave up a sound room in the basement of the student union building that’s now lined with shelves full of cereal boxes, jars of tomato sauce and cans of soup.

A sign next to the service counter tells student volunteers how to help customers.

Pantry volunteers must ask students seeking free food to show their student ID cards but don’t record their names or ask about their finances.

Students can visit the pantry as often as they like and can get enough food for three meals during each visit.

“We are a little concerned about people taking advantage,” said Gold, 21. “But there’s an inherent risk any time you start a new project, and there’s so much overall benefit from this project that we’re hoping it’s worth the risk.”

The pantry has enough food to last about 10 weeks, Gold said. He’s hoping with contributions it can stay open at least until the end of the school year.

• Laurel Rosenhall