Four historic music venues are only a cheap flight away

Every religion has its places of worship. Those who consider rock and roll a religion know that the place where you go to see a concert can greatly influence the experience. From small, dingy clubs to gorgeous outdoor amphitheatres, the United State is full of hallowed halls of rock.

You’ve heard all the stories of the historic performances, but a rock-and-roll pilgrimage is the one true way to satisfy your needs as a music fanatic. Check out the cheap flights on a travel site like Travelocity and immerse yourself in rock and roll lore by visiting one of these historic venues. And who knows, maybe you’ll catch the next legendary performance that will be talked about 40 years from now.

The Hollywood Bowl, Los Angeles

Having opened in 1922, The Hollywood Bowl is almost older than rock music itself. With a seating capacity of more than 17,000, playing the outdoor amphitheatre in the Hollywood Hills continues to be a rite of passage for bands as they reach rock stardom. From Al Jolson to the Rolling Stones, the Hollywood Bowl has hosted the biggest names in music for nearly a century. That’s no different this year as Kings of Leon, Sting and a reunited Pavement are on the schedule. While you’re in Los Angeles, consider making a stop at the Whisky A Go Go, the club where bands like The Doors and Guns n’ Roses got their starts. With two major airports, finding cheap airline tickets to Los Angeles is usually not a problem.

First Avenue, Minneapolis

What this converted bus depot lacks in comfort, it makes up for in character. The roster of bands that have played the downtown Minneapolis club is painted in white stars on the outside of the club. The names, which read more like a hall of fame roster, will give you a sense of how important the club has been to rock and roll since opening in 1972. Immortalized in Minnesota native Prince’s film “Purple Rain” and the proving grounds for local legends like the Replacements and Husker Du, the club continues to host the most hip and classic names in music. The Hold Steady, The Dead Weather and George Clinton and Parliament are on the summer schedule.

Ryman Auditorium, Nashville

As close to an actual place of worship as you can get, the venue formerly known as Grand Old Opry House opened as the Union Gospel Tabernacle in 1892. The auditorium is designated as a National Historic Landmark and has hosted essentially every big name in country music, from Johnny Cash to Hank Williams to Willie Nelson. Rock and rollers are welcome as well: Bruce Springsteen and Neil Young, who will play a two-night stand there this summer, have made stops at the auditorium. While in Nashville, you can also check out the Country Music Hall of Fame, today’s iteration of the Grand Old Opry House and the Belcourt Theatre, another historic venue.

Red Rocks Amphitheatre, Morrison, Colorado

This natural amphitheatre near Denver is arguably the most aesthetically and aurally pleasing venue in the U.S. Captured in acclaimed recorded performances from artists like U2 and John Denver, the venue boasts natural acoustic perfection as it is surrounded by rock formations that are perfect for carrying sound through the open air. Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, Joe Cocker and B.B. King are all lined up to play there this summer.

To find cheap flights to check one of these legendary venues or another venue you must get to before you die, visit Travelocity.com.

Courtesy of ARAcontent