Lee’s ‘dream’ days away from a ‘reality’

He’s 26 years into his coaching career, and head coach Alonzo Lee is now just days away from his first game as a college football head coach.

Lee has coached at programs inside and outside of the MEAC and has patiently waited for the opportunity.

And it has paid off for him, as he’ll get the dividend from his patience Saturday when North Carolina A&T visits Winston-Salem State in their traditional I-40 rivalry game at Bowman Gray Stadium.

“It’s a dream come true for me,” Lee said at Monday’s press conference at the Aggies Fitness and Well Center.

“You know every coach desires to be a head coach. My desire has been there a long time and I just tried to be patient.”

The former Morgan State defensive coordinator was hired on Jan. 16 and will lead a team that could desperately use his experience with success. A&T has only racked up three wins in the past three years.

They finished last in the MEAC in scoring (14.3 ppg) and ranked next to last in points allowed (30.5 ppg).

Lee will try to implement his game plans, which have led the MEAC in total defense five out of the last 12 seasons.

Although defense is his “bread and butter”, it has not limited him from spending time on the opposite side of the ball this offseason.

“I had an opportunity to really work with them on different things,” said Lee, “and it was a great situation for me.

“It was just a few wrinkles that I wanted to make sure that were installed because they hurt me as a defensive coach..”

And Lee will be no stranger to strategizing against his hosting counterpart during Saturday’s action.

He worked with Rams head coach Kermit Blount for five years at Howard University and believes their reunion is incomparable to there past matches.

“I talked to him at the preseason conference,” Lee said.

“I told him that this game is going back to an old springtime battle we use to have.  “But this game is way more than that and both communities are excited about it.”

And Lee is optimistic that Saturday’s rivalry game will mark the start of his dream of rebuilding the Aggie football team.

“I haven’t had many nightmares,” Lee said. “I’m just looking forward to an exciting dream making this thing happen throughout this year.” 

• Daniel Henderson