Softball team cruises to eight straight

On Sunday afternoon, the North Carolina A & T softball team won their eighth straight game improving to 18-11 on the season. The Aggies 6-2 win over Winston Salem State also marked their eighth straight game scoring over five runs.

Jessie Larson and Bianca Alsobrook led the Aggies with two RBIs apiece; Larson gained her third home run of the season. Sasha Philpot pitched four innings and did not allow a hit. She improved to 8-4 on the season.

The Winston Salem State Rams led the Aggies 2-0 before Lillian Bullock scored off an Alsobrook RBI in the fourth inning. In the fifth inning the MEAC’s RBI leader Ryanne Hill hit a single to score Yahamma White, after a White single and an Ashley Carter walk. A&T tied the game at 2. The single marked Hill’s 36th hit on the season.

With the bases loaded in the fifth because of a Tangie Conover walk, Ram pitcher Amber Shore struck out the next two batters. A&T was able to score a walk-in-homerun after Shore walked Alsobrook. The Aggies would score again after a pitch struck Aurora Baker which gave A&T a 4-2 lead. To secure the game the Aggie’s Larson added a two-run homer in the seventh.

Prior to the Lady Aggies series concluding sweep, they knocked off the Rams in a 8-2 stomping, right after they used a seven run seventh inning rally to open the series with a 10-8 win.

Hill also led the Aggies in those games batting 4-8 with two RBi’s in the first two games combined.

The opening game rally began when Carter doubled, and RBI leader Hill singled to bring her home.

The Rams walked Conover, and Larson took advantage with a single to left field that brought Hill home cutting the deficit to 8-5.

Eventually errors tied the game at eight a piece scoring Aggies on base, and Carter came back to the plate to close the game with a two-run triple to give the Aggies a two-run lead.

Sophomore Jennifer Luper closed the game retiring the Rams in order.

This same late-game comeback was use in the second game.

Luper was used as an offensive threat in the seventh inning, hitting a run-scoring triple in the seventh scoring three runs and sending the game out of reach for the Rams.

Philpot retired three out of the next four batters aiding the Lady Aggies in the victory,

The Lady Aggies will travel to Florida A&M this weekend to take on the Lady Rattlers in a two-game series.

They will play a game on Saturday at 1 p.m. followed by a Sunday’s matchup at noon.

The Ladies will return home to face UNC Greensboro next Wednesday at 2 p.m before they get a week in a half off to continue conference play on April 25th. 

• Lauren Morgan